2 - the underworld

Packing for your last day on earth wasn't what I had expected to do that day. My stomach was all nerves and my heart was heavy with grief. I couldn't be mad at Hades, even though I was. It had been my choice to replace my mother, he had just been doing his job. I guess in some weird sense he had saved me from witnessing her death, and that thought was enough to give me the strength to finish packing. I slipped on my sky blue dress since my white one was definitely out of the question. I packed it though, just in case I could wear it again.

I resisted the urge to tell my mother goodbye, which broke my heart but I tried to stay strong. I looked at my watch, realizing that Hades would be here in less than a minute.

If the God was anything it was precise. He appeared in my bedroom exactly on the hour without a minute to spare. I had almost forgotten how handsome he had been in the hour since I had met him. He was so tall and muscular he didn't fit in with my floral themed comforter or my light pink curtains.

"You're ready, I presume?" He raised a thick brow at me. I simply returned a nod and grabbed my tiny suitcase. I opened my mouth to speak but suddenly we were no longer in my bedroom.

I didn't know what I expected of the underworld. We arrived in what I assumed was the main room, it resembled a cave- cold and full of stone. In the center of the room sat an iron throne that seemed to also be made of human bone. I shivered as my eyes took in the skull at the top of it. A blood red rug was placed under the throne and many creepy tapestries hung from the stone walls. It was dark and full of evil, a place I clearly did not belong.

"Follow me." Hades commanded, leading me to a wooden door. He unlocked the door to reveal a hallway that had begun to resemble something that reminded me of an actual home. "These are your new quarters. You must never leave them unless you want to witness sorrow and death."

Great. I had been confined. My tour continued. The first door he approached was a kitchen. It was fully stocked and up to date with a woman, who looked practically dead, washing the dishes. She probably was dead for all I knew. The next room was the library, a room I immediately knew I would spend a lot of time in. The room was a bit of a mess, covered in a thin veil of dust. Books lay about, not put away and a wrinkled throw blanket sat at the end of the black Victorian love seat.

The next room was Hades office, a room that was off limits to me, continued by his bedroom. He didn't bother to show me his personal rooms, continuing to show me my own. He opened the door to reveal a bedroom- my new one. It was darker than my usual taste, with a large bed with a dark red, almost black, canopy around it. Tons of pillows piled onto the bed and a duvet that matched the canopy. An armoire for my clothing was across from the bed and there was another door that led into a bathroom. The bathroom had a claw foot tub that I immediately became obsessed with.

"I'll leave you to settle in then." Hades spoke, intently watching me take in the scenery of my new room.

After a moment I made my way towards Hades room to ask him what time dinner was. I knocked on the door. No answer. After a moment I opened it myself and peeked inside. The room was similar to mine, just obviously more lived in and with a bigger bed. The light shown from under the bathroom door and suddenly it opened.

Hades stood in all of his naked glory while my entire face turned red. I had never seen a naked man before and to see a literal Greek God in front of me with his completely chiseled body and beautiful features. Before I could catch myself I found my eyes wandering lower, realizing he had a massive erection. I quickly darted my eyes back up to his smug, smirking face.

"Do you like what you see?" He purred in such a feral tone.

I avoided the question with one of my own. "Why are you naked?!"

"Am I not allowed to be naked in my own kingdom?"

"There is a lady in your presence! Have you no manners?" I scolded the devil, who's smirk seemed to grow with every word I spoke. "You need to cover yourself up!"

"Are you scared, kitten?" He tilted his head lazily, still not bothering to cover himself. I had to fight the urge to glance down. His gaze darkened. "Scared that you want me to bend you over and fuck you senseless?"

If my face hadn't of already been red it would have now. No one had ever spoken to me in such a way. The few men I had encountered when I went into town with mother had always been nothing but gentleman. Hades was certainly not a gentleman.

What had I gotten myself into?