Chapter 6

Miranda's POV

~ ~ ~

I placed the last plate in the dish drainer and dried my hands off. Now that the dishes were done I could relax while the lasagna cooked in the oven. Victor would be home from work in a little while.

I sighed and sat down on the couch turning the tv on. CSI was on but I had to change it. I couldn't watch this show, too many episodes involving kidnappings. My wounds never did heal when Bella was taken.

I turned the channel to a cooking show to watch. I liked seeing the professional chefs' twists on recipes. After we lost Bella I needed something to distract myself from the pain so I went to pastry school. Now I own an online bakery out of my house.

After about a half hour, Victor walked into the house. He was a professional photographer for a newspaper.

"Dinner smells delicious, babe." He smiled at me as he set his stuff down on the coffee table. He leaned down and kissed me and I returned his smile.

"It'll be ready soon." I said to him.

He rubbed his hands together. "Can't wait. I'm going to go take a quick shower first, I'll be out in a few minutes."

He left the living room and I stood up to go check the lasagna. It was almost done, so it would be perfect by the time Victor came out.

It only took him about five minutes in the shower and we ate dinner together in the living room. We watched a stupid-comedy movie that was playing on television. We'd both seen it countless times but it was one of Victor's favorites. Although I got tired of seeing it, it made Victor laugh ridiculously which always brought a smile to my face.

I was taking the dishes into the kitchen when our doorbell rang and Victor called to me that he would get it. I set the dishes in the sink and made my way back into the living room. There was a man and a woman standing in the doorway shaking my husband's hand.

I walked over and looked at them curiously. The woman's eyes lit up when she saw me.

"Mrs. Price." She said with a surprised smile.

I nodded. "That's me. What can I help you with?"

"Oh of course, I'm sorry. I'm Vanessa Salazar and this is Brandon Thale. We're agents of the FBI. We have something to discuss with you and your husband, can we come in please?"

She lifted her badge as verification that she was telling the truth. I stared at it in surprise. What would the FBI need with us?

"Oh, alright." Victor and I moved out of the way and allowed the two to come inside.

We all went into the living room and sat down, Vanessa and Brandon across from my husband and I.

"So, what is this about?" Victor asked.

"Is there a problem?" I asked nervously.

Vanessa shook her head immediately. "Oh, no, not at all. The exact opposite, actually."

She scooted forward in her seat as if to get closer to us. "This is going to be a lot to take in, so just bare with me." She said and we nodded. "Just recently, our US special forces exposed and took down a wanted group that we've been chasing for decades."