Chapter 25

~ ~ ~

"I can't believe he was there." Angela exclaimed as she drove. "What if he says something to someone? I knew it was a bad idea for you to get close to him."

I pressed my lips together and stared out of the window. We were on our way to school and the sinking feeling in my stomach wasn't leaving. It didn't help that Angela kept going on and on about Sebastian.

She groaned. "What are we going to do? I don't think he's just going to let it go. What if he starts rumors-"

"Angela." I cut in, having enough of her rant. "I'll handle it. Just stop."

Her eyes widened at the hard tone of my voice. She stared straight for a few moments before nodding. "Fine."

The school seemed different that morning. Less inviting. Maybe it was because I knew I would be losing a friend today; my only friend. I wondered if he'd find the separation as difficult as I already was.

We had no classes together, which I was grateful for. I wasn't ready to face him yet. I even did my best to avoid him in the hallways. I planned to just find him at lunch, and tell him then that we couldn't spend time together anymore.

It was for the best, or that's what I told myself. Dread filled me as we crept closer and closer to the lunch hour. When it finally came, I stood in the hallway next to the cafeteria. I needed to move, go to the music room and find him. I needed to get it over with.

But I couldn't. So I turned and walked into the cafeteria, finding a seat next to my cousin. She smiled upon seeing me, but nobody else really paid much attention.

"I'm going to need your help at practice this week, Mo." Angela said to Monica.

The girl in question raised her eyebrows. "Okay, but I thought Katy usually helped you."

Angela shrugged and only then did I notice Katherine's absence from the table. I wondered if this had anything to do with their fight the previous week.

"I want to try some stunts and you used to be a cheerleader." Angela said, though I could tell she was lying.

Monica either believed Angela's excuse, or didn't care because she smiled. "I would love to teach the girls stunts. This week is going to be killer."

I pulled my lunch out of my backpack, but I couldn't bring myself to eat it. I let my mind wander, finding no interest in the conversations around me. I tried to resist, but I couldn't stop thinking about him. About-

"Sebastian." My head snapped up at Angela's voice.

She had her eyes narrowed on him as he stood in front of the table. He was paying her no attention though, and only focused on me.

"You shouldn't be here." Angela said to him.

He ignored her and stepped towards me. "Can we talk?"

"No, you can't, she-" I held my hand up to stop my cousin from speaking.

"Angela, please." I gave her a hard look. I sighed before looking back to Sebastian. "Yes, we can talk."

I began to stand up when Angela pulled me back and leaned towards me. "Just remember what I told you, Bella. You can't trust him."

I pulled back, ignoring the stir in my stomach at her words. Of course I knew what she was hinting at. Sebastian, though I still found it difficult to imagine, had cheated with his best friend's girlfriend. How could I possibly forgotten? I pushed the thoughts from my mind and turned away.

I slowly stood and stepped in front of him. My heart thumped in my chest when my eyes met his. We were inches apart, our breaths mingling. Swallowing hard, I turned from him and continued out into the hallway.