Chapter 38

~ ~ ~

The bell rang for class to end and I followed the crowd out into the hallway. It was crowded; students walked by, brushed against me, bumped my side, and I didn't react. There was no threat. I knew that.

A boy bumped into my shoulder as he rushed by and I stared after him. I hadn't lashed out, or let defensive instincts take hold of me. I just let him go. It was so normal.

Hope spiked within me. Maybe I could have it after all. A normal life. Maybe that night at the party hasn't left me completely incapable of healing.

"Bella, oh my gosh." Molly bounced toward me as she exited the classroom. "Guess what?"

"What is it?" I asked her. She was normally a very bubbly person, especially after Stephen left her alone, so this behavior wasn't a surprise to me.

"I got an 'A' on that essay you helped me with!" She grinned brightly.

I easily returned her smile. "That's great, Molly! I'm not surprised though, you did a really amazing job."

Molly lifted her shoulder into a shrug. "I wouldn't have done so well without your help."

I scoffed. "Don't be ridiculous. You did,"

I trailed off sensing something nearby.

No. Not again.

Just like that, my hope for normalcy faded with each passing second. An inkling at the back of my mind was telling me that a threat was near. Something was off. Someone was here, in this hallway. I tried to ignore it, but a decade of training wasn't going to go away just because I wished for it.

Was it him? My eyes immediately searched for his menacing blue eyes.

A flash of movement behind Molly caught my attention. Someone with a large, dark sweatshirt stood with their back to me at the end of the hallway.

I swallowed hard as a chill swept over my body. I couldn't identify them, but I knew who this person was. I wanted to rush forward and rip the hood from their head, but I also wanted to turn and run; get as far away as possible.

"Uh, Bella?" I jumped when Molly's hand touched my shoulder. "Are you okay?"

I nodded distractedly, looking back toward the figure. They hadn't moved an inch, almost like they were taunting me. Daring me to go after them.

It had to be him, right? It was the only explanation. He wanted to scare me. He wanted to remind me of the fear I had felt. He would continue holding it over me until I did something to stop him.

I had to do something to stop him.

"I need to go, Molly." I said, not even bothering with a glance in her direction. "I'll see you later."

Without waiting for a reply, I started off down the hallway. As the space between us grew smaller and smaller, my breaths became shorter. Panic seized my chest and every instinct was telling me to turn back. Every instinct but one.

I needed to end this.

When I was only a few feet away, however, the figure shot forward and turned down the next hallway. My eyes widened at the sudden movement that I hadn't been expecting.

I moved to follow immediately, but one realization caused me to freeze. I hadn't expected it. The action had been so discrete and so precise. I hadn't seen a single sign to give away what this person had been planning.

My chest squeezed again, even more tightly than before.

I began questioning myself. Was it really him? Taking a deep breath, I forced my feet forward. Of course it was him. And I was going to end this, once and for all.