Chapter 27

~ ~ ~

She lay, unmoving, unspeaking as the cold overtook her body. Her bones ached as her wet clothes weighed her down. She was on her back, a metal table supporting her.

It was quiet, but she new that they were still there. They were always there, watching her. They spoke occasionally, but she'd long since been able to focus on what they were saying.

Her body shivered, shaking almost violently, but she could no longer feel it. Her body was numb, near shock, but they still wouldn't release her. Not until she released herself.

She blinked into the darkness, attempting to make out any shapes around her. She was staring at the ceiling, but she didn't know that. She didn't know where she was, which way was up or down.

She wanted to feel warmth again; she'd forgotten what it felt like. She tried to imagine it, picturing herself wrapped in a blanket, hands in front of a roaring fire. The yearning she had for heat only made her aching increase.

"How is her progress?" Someone asked.

"She is very strong. She has been resisted in letting go, much more resistant than our other recruits, but I believe she is close." Another voice answered.

The owner of the first voice nodded. "Finish it."

The other person nodded as well and signalled the others. "Prepare for another drop."

They stood around her and one stepped closer.

"Disconnect, recruit." He said calmly. "This will all be over once you disconnect."

Her mouth opened as she tried to speak, but no words came out. She wanted something, someone, but she couldn't remember what, or who.

He reached out, gripping the lever. "Disconnect." He repeated before pulling the lever down.

Once again she was submerged in water, ice cold and unforgiving. She'd been expecting it, but her body was too exhausted to react quickly enough. Her muscles froze at the sudden cold, she couldn't move.

They pushed her, more and more each time, to the brink. The more they pushed her, the further she was from her memories. The cold would invade her mind, taking away her past, leaving her mind open for them to mold.

When they had first begun, she had struggled, trying hard to escape the water. She had cried out for her mother, thrashed around, nearly died from her refusal to cooperate.