Chapter 14

Fast update, as promised!

It is unedited, so if you see mistakes, please point them out and I will fix it.

Happy Reading :)

~ ~ ~

I walked out of the school as quickly as I could without looking unusual. The sky was clear and beautiful and everyone seemed in a cheerful mood. I should have been happy along with them, but I just couldn't bring myself down from the wave of anxiety I'd been drowning in.

High school was so much more difficult than I'd imagined. It wasn't the assignments that I was struggling with, no, those were simple, it was the constant flow of different faces around me.

Everywhere I turned, there was a new person that hadn't been there before. Someone else that my instinct told me to keep track of. I couldn't shut my mind off. The twelve years of training that I had endured had slowly drained me of natural human characteristics that were not so easily learned.

I tried not to think about the strangers crowding around me and instead searched for my parents. Their car came into view and I sighed in relief.

When I made it to the car, I immediately opened the door and got in, cutting myself off from the chaotic sound of the many voices of my classmates, competing to be the loudest. My parents turned to face me with eager expressions.

"How was your first day, honey?" Miranda asked me with a smile.

I paused for a moment, contemplating how to answer her. I knew that if I said that my day had been anything but perfect, Miranda would jump at the chance to pull me out.

She'd been against me going to school since the moment my aunt Samantha had suggested it. I could tell that, after losing me for so long, she wanted nothing more than to lock me up forever to ensure my safety. As inviting as that sounded compared to returning to this place, I wouldn't allow it.

I wanted to be normal. I needed to be normal.

I lifted my lips into a small smile. "It was different than what I was expecting, but I think I can adjust."

Victor nodded, looking pleased. "Of course you can, sweetheart." He turned towards the steering wheel and shifted the car into drive. "Did you make any friends?"

My thoughts immediately went to Sebastian, which I found odd. I couldn't classify him as my friend; I had only just met him. Not to mention, Angela would certainly not approve. I supposed I could count Molly as a friend, even though she'd been directed by the principle to help me.

"I met a girl, named Molly." I told them. "She's very nice."

"That's great, Bella." Miranda said happily. "So, you're feeling comfortable in school?"

Comfortable seemed to strong a word to describe how I felt in school, but Miranda didn't need to know that.

"Yes, I am content." I answered.

Hopefully it would get easier.

~ ~ ~

The young girl struggled in the man's hold, thrashing around in hopes of escape. Her chest rose and fell with shallow, fear-filled breaths.

"Let me go!" She yelled, but the man immediately clamped a hand down on her mouth.