I - The Moon of the Shadows

Year 3018

"Delta E station, permission for landing."

"Granted, Lieutenant Cordon.", officer Sarah replied.

The Transport III ship parked at the dock at the base, bringing the supplies that were brought from Mars, place where the Earth's population took refuge after the Third World War that decimated the planet. With the explosion of hydrogen bombs, produced from nuclear fusion, the Earth's axis moved and the nucleus stopped, causing irreversible changes in the terrestrial electromagnetism. In addition to places like Mars, mankind created bases like that on Enceladus, a moon of Saturn, where conditions allowed for greater survival.

The captain of the base, Henry Fox, went in person to see if the whole cargo had arrived intact. A year ago they lived under strict rationing to ensure everyone's survival, and that cargo would prevent that no one would starve until the new dome was ready. It was almost finished. In it, the terrestrial biological system could be cultivated, with trees and plants to promote photosynthesis, besides serving as food; animals and insects to propagate the seeds through all the corners of the forest regions. In addition, they designed huge mirrors to increase the power of the Sun's light that came a hundred times weaker than in the planet Earth. Thus, the solar photons loomed in the right measure to be absorbed by the planted area. And the scientists also managed to create artificial gravity in the area, which made it easier to live in these habitats, maintaining good organic conditions.

After the inspection and the start of the supplies discharge, Lieutenant Cordon climbed the commando bridge, from where he observed the operation together with the commander.

"How was your trip, Lieutenant?"

"It went well, Captain. We had some problems with the asteroid belt near Jupiter. Thank goodness that our navigator officers are experienced, and the turbulence was nothing but a fright."

"Ever since we colonized Mars, fortunately we have never been short of food. The ancestors said that the overpopulation of planet Earth caused all resources to wane. It was a good idea for our 21st century scientists to send missions to colonize the red planet and plant vegetables, altering the planet's atmosphere, and create an artificial electromagnetic field. And now, we are repeating this experience here in Enceladus."

"Yes, but everyone knows that the real purpose of the Democratic Council is to reach a planet similar to Earth in structure and weather.", Cordon said.

"I think we'll succeed in future generations. Soon we will be able to create warp drive spacecraft and astronomical distances will be turned into mere walks.", continued Fox.

"All still very theoretical, Captain. I don't know if that will be possible."

"Just look at where we are. In the remote past, the human beings would never have imagined that we would get here..."

A short-haired officer, with a chanel haircut, stepped onto the bridge, interrupting the conversation. She shook her head, greeting the captain:

"Permission to enter the bridge, sir."

"Granted, Lieutenant Sarah."

Cordon looked at her and froze for a few seconds. She had fair skin, dark brown eyes, and light hair, almost blond. The curvaceous body revealed that she worked out a lot in the base's gym. A small tattoo garnished her right arm near the sleeve of her navy blue uniform. It was the color of officers' attire.

"We were talking about how important the colonization of Mars by our ancestors was.", said Commander Henry Fox.

Sarah smiled, acquiescing, staring at Cordon. He smiled back and kept his gaze for longer than usual, staring at her. The captain cleared his throat to break the mood, and lieutenant Cordon continued to say: