III - The Moon of Love

Captain Henry, after finishing inspecting the new water project, used an elevator to get to his quarters to rest a little. There, his wife was expecting him. Lanza Iroshi was one of the most respected nuclear engineers he knew.

"How are you dear? I didn't see you wake up today.", she said, hugging him. "Have the supplies arrived?"

"Yes, everything went well, my love. The ship made a good trip, and at the moment they are unloading everything... I supervised the first steps and then took the opportunity to keep up with the construction of the reservoir. I'm kind of stressed with this project, which is gigantic... Just as the responsibility to command this base seems. I can't overlook anything. Thank goodness I have some good officers to advise me on this job."

She kissed him on the lips and said:

"We could enjoy that you're here and me too and, maybe, de-stress a little, you know..."

"I'd love to fulfill your wish, but I can't. We have visitors at the base and I can be called at any time. You wouldn't want me to stop what we were doing halfway, right? At night, we will have plenty of time."

She turned her back on him, looking really hurt:

"After we've come to this place, you think only of your work... Our life is fading through our fingers. You even forgot about the plan of trying to have a child as soon as we arrived. Now you do nothing but think all the time about this project. Henry, I need you more than this damn base! Even on the resting days, you have been working. Or did you forget that today would be our day off, together?"

"I assure you, I'm still a good husband, and we'll have the child we both want. It's what I want the most, too, deep within my heart.", he said, smiling to make her happier. "I want several kids playing beside us, jumping in my head.", she smiled back.

"It's OK dear. Sorry for all the charges. I imagine the responsibility on your back is huge. Let's do it all at the right time. Have a drink of water. I hardly see you drinking it. Is good for health."

"Thank you darling. It's because whenever I hear of it, I remember the design of the reservoir."

"All in good time. Isn't that what we agreed on?", she stared at him with fake severity.

He smiled once more. The captain ate a snack prepared by her and laid down a little. He fell asleep for a few minutes.

Meanwhile, the couple of officers continued to chat in the restaurant. Lieutenant Cordon ordered another coffee to extend the time with the beautiful officer. Sarah sipped at the hot drink and said:

"I find it striking how the diversification of human cultures, from the earliest formations of societies, didn't let man see that one day the resources of the planet would end, and that the dispute for economic growth was nothing more than fuel for the beginning of the war and devastation of the planet. The advantages of economic growth, cultural diversities, and ideologies about the destruction of humanity based on ancient prophecies have worn off. In fact, the planet Earth was extinguished by those who should preserve it."

"When we discovered that there was life on other planets, everything changed. Do you remember the first communication with other civilizations, when we discovered through the powerful telescopes and radio equipment that there were beings trying to make contact with us? With social networks, the whole world knew that the human being was not the only privileged to live in the vast Universe. So the young people who grew up plugged into the globalized world stopped following the beliefs that lived from the disbelief of the people, to believe in the diversity of the Cosmos. Most religions are over. Now we are people of humanity, trying to survive. The ideology is to unite for our progeny."

"It's painful to look back and see that billions of lives have been mowed down because of wars, caused by religious and economic reasons that never existed, or at least no longer exist.", Sarah commented.

"My dream would be to be born on the green planet and see the animals that our ancestors said lived in the woods. Birds that flew across the vast blue sky and sang joyfully, fish in the great oceans, hunter animals that killed only to quench hunger and the environment in complete balance.", Cordon said.

"Until the man got in the middle of it, unbalancing life on the planet. Thanks to our scientists, a part of mankind has been able to survive and create systems of artificial habitats, imitating the harmony of the true terrestrial biomes. And we are here today because of that, in a moon far from the Earth. And what moves us is our spirit of survival. It makes us urge to win, to face obstacles and to fight for something we believe in... Life is the reason for the greatest commitment of the human soul. Humanity will always give its last drop of blood to preserve itself."

They smiled together, agreeing. What would they be without what the ancient people called faith?

"How about watching a movie together tonight?", he said, changing the subject.

"I think it'll be nice. Let's go to holographic cinema later?", she lifted a hologram, checking the movies' times.

"That's fine for me."

After talking about amenities, he did not resist curiosity and asked incisively:

"Sarah..."

"What is it, Cordon?"

"I'm sorry, I'm a bit embarrassed to ask you a question..."

"Why? You can ask..."

It's now or never, he thought before finally asking.

"Do you have someone?"

"What do you mean?", she seemed confused by the question.

"I mean... Are you married? Do you have a boyfriend?"

Sarah raised her eyebrows and said:

"Wow, you go straight to the point, Cordon!"

__________________