Chapter 4.2: Don't Call Me Babe.

He moved slightly to the left but didn't completely move out of the way. He gave her just enough room that she was able to get her first look at the Nightwalker Sam had sent her. The man was not as tall as Kieran, only a couple inches shorter and, of course, couldn't compare to his build. The Nightwalker was not without muscles, though. He was just built more compact, like a panther. His long legs were covered with a pair of well-fitted blue jeans that left little to the imagination and her eyes widened with appreciation. Broad shoulders and an apparent six-pack were covered by a lightweight gray t-shirt. The bronze-skinned man was finely built for one of his species. He had soft blue eyes that were staring at her with a cold glare. The wind ruffled his short and simple dark chestnut hair as he impatiently stood there. It was obvious that he was not pleased to be there from the stance of his body alone.

"Are you going to invite me in, or am I going to be an outside pet only?" His voice was soft and cold when he finally decided to address them.

"Can't come in without an invitation, huh? That has to suck," Kieran goaded. "But then again, it does keep your food safe." He never was one for letting someone else get the last insult.

She was contemplating smacking the hell out of Kieran for his insult. She knew he was going to be bad, but she didn't realize he was going to be this bad. "Stop it," she ordered as she pulled at his arm to get him to move the hell out of the way. "You may come in, Nightwalker," she said, finally addressing the man just outside the door.

He stepped over the threshold, and looked Kieran up and down. "Where are your wings, Tinker Bell?"

She watched in horror as Kieran's jaw begin to unhinge at the insult. He was going to attempt to eat a Nightwalker. Her Nightwalker. Why the hell had these two started in with the automatic insults? Couldn't they even try to get along instead of fighting? She had enough on her plate without dealing with the two men beating their chests at each other constantly. She could already feel a headache forming from all the testosterone they were pumping out.

She slid between the two men and held her arms out. "Enough! For the love of all the gods, would you two stop already?!"

Kieran growled out something unpleasant and physically impossible before he stomped away. The Nightwalker merely smirked and strolled further into the cabin. They were going to give her a hard time, harder than what she had planned. She closed her eyes, pinched the bridge of her nose, and counted to ten for calm that was almost out of reach.

"What are you called?"

"Uh? Oh. My name is Vincent. The evil midget witch gave me this to give to you." He held out a large blank manila envelope that seemed rather thick.

Impatience had her wanting to rip the envelope from his hand. She was curious to see what was inside the envelope, but caution had her taking the envelope from him casually and waving him to follow her into the library. She did not want a stranger to see how desperate she was for information. If he saw desperation, there was a chance that he could later use that against her down the road. Maguis' coup had taken her paranoia to a whole new level when she had to deal with strangers.

She could have sat in one of the comfortable armchairs next to the unlit fire, but that was too casual for her. Vincent needed to know that she was the one in charge, and that could only happen in a formal setting. She waved him to a chair on the other side of the desk before she sat behind the desk. She placed the envelope to the side to be examined after Vincent left her before she bothered to address him.

"How much trouble are you going to give me?"

"None if you keep your guard dog on his leash."

Her eyebrow went up at his comment. It wasn't the first time she had heard him referred as such but those who had made the comment weren't her peons. "He is not my guard dog, that is your position. I will make you an outside pet, as you so wonderfully put it, if you can't curb your attitude."

"It's nice to know that you do have a backbone, Princess."

She counted to ten in her head before she spoke. The man was an abrasive ass and if he didn't fix his attitude, she was going to fix it for him. "My name is Lyssandra and that is how you will address me. I'm not babe, princess, girl, woman, or any other nickname you can think of. I have a name, and you will use it."

"Or what?"

She was perfectly fine with showing him that two could play at the game of intimidation. She coolly got up, rounded the front of the desk, and placed both of her hands on the arms of his chair, caging him in. A subtle twitch under his eye was her only clue that he did not care for her being in his space. "I will show you all the unpleasant skills I have learned in the Unseelie Court as a princess. You think I don't know about you Nightwalkers. You are a denizen of my court," She leaned even further into his space and whispered into his ear, "I know what makes you tick. Behave and I will play you like a finely tuned instrument. Misbehave and I will make you rue the day you ever crossed paths with me." She pulled back and noticed that his eyes had gone from sky blue to a burning onyx. She filed it away as interesting information to be used later. "Do we have an understanding?"

"Yes," he retorted between clenched teeth. "Now get the hell out of my space." 

~~~

The next part will be released on Friday January 15, 2016. If you want to read the whole book NOW Absolutely FREE. Just visit here http://hotromancestory.com/scc1-free-book-wp/ To grab your free copy of this book today.