Chapter 6.3: A Safe Place

He barely spared a glance at Lyss, all of his focus was on Quinton. "I don't know who the fuck you are, but you need to stay the hell away from Lyssandra."

"Nightwalker," Quinton purred in delight. "I hear that your name is Vincent."

"It is," Vincent hissed.

He rose from his chair and sauntered over to Vincent, who seemed to be frozen in his spot. No longer was there a jovial bounce in Quinton's step. The man had transformed right in front of her from a laughing and easy man to a deadly one in the space of a heartbeat.

"I am Quinton, Prince of the Shadow Court and bastard of King Daron. I'm not sure of your age, but I am assuming you are old. I don't know who you previously belonged to, and honestly, I don't care. We were having a private conversation between brother and sister and you rudely interrupted it. I don't care for your attitude nor your show of power by breaking my barrier and bursting in here, but you don't belong to me. You are in service to my sister, who, before tonight, had been naïve of our world. I am assuming your show was to make sure that she was safe. Your need to make sure she is safe is the only reason that you are still among the living with the disrespect you have personally shown me. However, now that you are aware that she is part of the royal family, you will begin to treat her with the respect she is due. Do we have an understanding?"

"Yes," he snapped out.

"I am very happy to hear that. Now, my sister requires a resting place during her hours of weakness. I assume that you are willing to share your sleeping space without an issue?"

"No, I will not share."

"I'm sorry. Did you just tell me no after all that I have said?" His hand shot out rapidly and wrapped around Vincent's throat. "I don't think you just uttered the word no, did you?"

He squeezed hard enough that she could hear Vincent's breath wheezing in and out. She needed to interfere before he did serious damage to the Nightwalker. "Quinton, you can't force him. Please just let him go. I am sure we can figure out a safe space for me. Plus, I still have Kieran."

"Oh, how wrong you are about that, baby sister." His eyes never left his those of his prey. "I can compel him to strip naked right here and tap dance a little jig for us if I pressed hard enough. He is our court's creation, and he will follow my commands!"

"Quinton, please let him go." Her voice was soft.

Seconds passed slowly before he listened to her request and loosened his grip. "If anything happens to Lyssandra, I am coming after you first, Nightwalker, and you will pay with your life." His voice was firm with a promise of retribution should anything occur that he not like. "Baby sister," Once again his voice was full of laughter and mischief. "I sadly must go. Duties call my name back at court, and I must sadly leave you until later. I have shirked my duties enough. I'm sure our sister and father are dying to get information on you." He brushed a kiss on her cheek and literally melted into the shadows.

"I have to learn that trick," she whispered to no one in particular as she watched Vincent spin on his heels and stomp away.  

~~~

The next part will be released on Friday February 26, 2016. If you want to read the whole book NOW Absolutely FREE. Just visit here http://hotromancestory.com/scc1-free-book-wp/ To grab your free copy of this book today.