Chapter 14

YES! ANOTHER UPDATE! I'M ON FIRE!

Okay, so I kind of got mixed up in my chapters; this isn't the super awesome one that I had mentioned at the end of the last one, the one that I was actully talking about is chapter 15 (in otherwords, the next one). Anyway this one is still very good, and as previously mentioned, it's all about Ridge. Yay! And guess what? Patch is back! :P

On the side, the picture kind of ruins what goes on in this chapter a little bit, but I just had to put it there because it fit the chapter so well. And finally as song for this chapter I chose Breath of Life by Florence+Machine. Freaking awesome song.

Whose side am I on?
Whose side am I?
Whose side am I on?
Whose side am I?

I shall add no more.

Chapter 14

Ridge           

How long has it been? A week since Ridge had last seen his sister?

He had received word that she was finally awake and okay, but he hadn’t seen it for himself. She hadn’t come up to the surface in over a week, which was actually very odd considering how often she “needed a break from being queen”. But Ridge reminded himself that right now might not be the best of times for Tara to come for a visit; the town was full of pictures that people had supposedly “taken” of mermaids. The pictures were on billboards, doors, shop and house windows, cars, telephone poles, etc. Most of the pictures had a little note underneath them that said either: Leave us alone fowl creatures of the ocean!

Or the more common one: Die mermaids die! It made Ridge sick to his stomach every time he saw one of the posters; how long was he going to be able to pretend like he knew nothing? Any second now, everything he knew about merpeople, the Kingdoms, the Prophecy, etc. was going to suddenly just explode out of his mouth before he even had a chance to stop it. Rumours were starting to go around that the town might allow a mermaid hunt, and the first one to bring back a living mermaid would have the honour of killing it in front of everyone at town square. Every time he thought about such an event, an image of Tara always appeared into his mind, getting a dagger stabbed into her stomach in front of everyone as if she were a human sacrifice.              

So, every time Ridge saw a poster with a merperson on it, he made it his personal mission to take it down and rip it to shreds.

In fact, he just so happened to be in town square, taking down what was probably his fifth poster of the day, when he bumped into none other than Princess Breena. His felt his heart slightly tighten at the sight of her, but he ignored it.

“Ridgemont” The princess said to him with a radiant white smile. He was surprised to see how normal and human she looked amongst everyone, and how calm and composed she was being despite everything that was going on. “Fancy meeting you here.”

He was human and lived on land, she was a mermaid princess that was supposed to help run a kingdom; it was more like it was fancy meeting her here.

Still, he smiled back at her. “Yeah, it’s nice to see you too Majesty.”

“Just Breena will do Ridgemont.” She corrected him, for some reason seeming a little embarrassed.

“Right…sorry.” He answered now feeling uncomfortable.

Her gaze traveled from his face, to the shrivelled up poster that he was holding in his left hand. Breena’s wonderful smile suddenly faded, and was replaced by a small frown. Without saying anything, the princess grabbed the poster that he was holding, and unfolded it so that she could look at it.