Chapter #18

Chapter #18: Fireworks Literally Exploded in my Stomach

***

"Evan! No, please!" I sobbed, tugging at Evan's arms as he tried to walk me through the hospital door. He already forced me into the car and now was tugging at me as I was reluctantly refusing to go in. I couldn't. I'm too scared. Not being able to contain my quiet sobs, I finally let out a loud scream I've been holding in and sobbed into my hands. Sobbed about everything going wrong. My parents being dead, me getting attacked until my body broke down, my depression; everything. Everything hurt right now, mentally, emotionally and physically.

Man, I'm a handful.

"Peyton, shh. I'll be right by your side." Evan comforted, gently wrapping his arms around my waist and tugging me lightly.

I just then realized, I needed him. In every way.

He was always here for me, here to comfort me, make me smile, make me forget my dreadful thoughts. He was always somehow by my side and he was so open to getting to know me when I was the new kid at school. No one talked to be- but Evan. He always had football practices in which he promised to meet up with me after. He was so loving, caring and I just now realized.

Without thinking, I pulled his shirt from the front and he flung into my arms.

"Ooph." he grunted at the sudden movement of our bodies colliding together, immediately creating warmth.

I wrapped my arms around his waist and tightly hugged him. My bare, bruised arms were sore as I held onto every bit of him, as much as I could. His heartbeat plummeted against my left ear and his chest was moving ever so slightly as he breathed. It made my heart pound ever faster but my sobs got quieter by his comfort. A few hesitant moments later, I felt his strong arms wrap around my neck. Everything was dark, my eyes were closed and his warmth radiated off onto my skin, making me feel more than safe. I felt his chin lay on the top of my head; his breathing from his nostrils tickling my hair.

"Evan why are you dealing with me?" I whispered, my voice completley muffled by his cotton shirt. "How can you handle a piece of annoying shit like me?"

Evan sighed and pulled back, holding tightly onto my shoulders. He brought his face mere inches away from mine and his dark grey eyes locked into mine.

"Because. I know if I weren't here for you right now, you would've been long gone." he responded, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear.

My heart skipped a beat once again at his words. I tried to lie to myself and tell myself that that isn't true; but it is. If it weren't for Evan everyday, making me smile and just simply caring for me, I know I would've taken my life away the minute I came to New York. The death of my parents was brutal on me, and it still is. Not to mention the funeral planned out by my uncle and auntie only a few weeks away. And I'm not denying that anymore. I'm sick of denying everything in my own head.

I liked Evan, more than I've ever liked anyone. My emotions and feelings for him were sky high, and I'm not denying it anymore.

As a tear rolled down my cheek, partially a sad tear but also a joyful one, Evan's thumb lightly brushed against my bruised cheekbone and he wiped the tear away, ever so slowly. I sniffled and a smile tugged at lips. How could a bad boy like himself, make a girl like me, feel so tingly inside? How is he doing it?

I lifted my right hand up to his face and stroked his cheek with my thumb. I looked deep into his eyes- as cheesy as that seemed and my heart was beating faster by the minute. What was I doing? What the hell am I doing?