Chapter #25

Chapter #25: Funeral Tears

Listen to the song on the right >>>

***

Peyton's P.O.V:

My eyes lightly watered as I pulled out of Evan's neighborhood. A part of me wanted him to chase after me, but who am I kidding; I'm driving a motorcycle for heavens sake.

Getting out of the safe neighborhood, I turned onto the streets of New York. The traffic was horrific, and I drove through thin spaces to get away from all the crowded vehicles. Cutting in front of cars, I flew from all the vehicles that are stopped at the stop light. Finally, I reached the front of the traffic light and stopped the motorcycle in front of the huge line of cars. My eyes intensely watched the 3 circular bulbs on the metal post. My eyes went dizzy from staring at the blazing red and after what seemed like hours, it flashed green. I let out a deep breath and I revved the handle bar and sped through the air. I read the signs as I passed them all, one by one.

Minutes turned into an hour and 2 hours turned into 3. A small smile snuck onto my lips when I saw the sign that read 'Welcome to New Jersey'. I finally entered New Jersey; my home. A wide grin over came my lips as I deeply inhaled the aroma of the street food and the scent of salty water from the beach. I looked over to see the boardwalk that I've had thousands of memories on. To the left of the boardwalk were hundreds of rides from the year-round carnival.

I drove past my school, not sparing a second glance as I sped off to the place I really didn't want to go to. The 'graveyard'. My dads side of the family has been arranging the funeral of my parents and they offered if I wanted to get involved which of course I refused. I wanted to put this whole situation away because it hurts me too much. The death of my parents ruined my life and I'm not blaming them- I'm blaming what happened to them.

I didn't need these memories in my mind. Even though Evan had made me forget about what was actually going on in my life, driving into the Cemetery made everything creep back onto my brain. My eyes immediately filled up in tears as I slowed down to see a few cars parked by the small lodge in the cemetery.

The fact that Evan wasn't with me to hold me made me want to cry. I thought him being here with me would take away a bit of the pain but clearly that wasn't what he wanted to do. He wanted to smoke and get high. I pushed away the thought of Evan and slowly opened the wooden door to see my dad's father at the desk.

"Oh Peyton! You're late!" he groaned, not sparing me any sympathy.

"Don't give me attitude. I'm here now, and it's a funeral. Once it's done, I'll be leaving," I explained straight forwardly.

"Alright dear. Here, take these flowers and you can go over to the dirt. Where is Sharon and George?" he asked.

Oh my Aunt and Uncle? Funny story.

"I uh- I came without them," I murmured.

Before he had the chance to respond, I grabbed the bouquet and ran from the lodge. I made my way to the dirt and once I noticed two caskets next to eachother, my heart dropped to my stomach and I felt like throwing up. I felt all the cuts and bruises on my body turn into unbearable pain, and my head began to throb. Reality finally caught up to me.

I slowly made my way over to my mother's long time best friend, Katherine. I've had good memories with her as a child and I remember she used to babysit me and sneak me to the boardwalk to get me cotton candy. She was like family to me. Her bright red hair stood out from all the bodies surrounding the caskets, preparing for the speech. I pushed passed a couple of people I didn't recognize and I tapped Katherine's shoulder.