Chapter 9

Not edited! 

ENJOY!

---

It was a comfortable silence. The wind was a slight breeze, causing our hair to move around us. It took me a couple of minutes to talk. I was afraid to break the peacefulness that we actually had right now.

I knew it was a stupid question, but I asked anyways. “Are you okay?” I muttered, looking at his face.

As redundant as I sound, I couldn’t get over how handsome Weston was. Even when he was angry or sad, he was still as handsome as ever with his defined jaw, strong cheekbones, and blue eyes framed by dark eyelashes that any girl would envy. His lips were set in a thin line.

“I’ll be okay,” he mumbled.  

“I heard about your dad being locked up,” I said. He nodded.

“Do you want to talk about it?” I stuffed my hands in my pocket, looking at his profile.

He hung his head down, before picking it up to stare at nothing in particular.

“I came home after a meeting with the representatives to grab some stuff Jade wanted. My dad was drunk as usual, slurring out and crying about how much he missed my mom. I decided to ignore it. I didn’t know Jade was downstairs with him. She hasn’t even been home since the last time he hit her. Remember when I told you about that story?” He looked at me when I nodded.

 “She was telling him that my mom was in a better place and according to Jade, he nodded and said that Jade was right. He told her he was hungry, so Jade cooked him food.

“All of a sudden, I heard a huge crash and Jade screaming. I ran out as fast as I could. I saw my sister on the ground with the pan of hot food on her. She looked like a wreck. She was crying. Her hair was all over the place. She had a bruise on her cheek. For a werewolf to have a bruise, they must’ve been hit hard,” Weston’s voice quavered when he talked about how he discovered Jade. I scooted closer, putting a hand on his shoulder for comfort.

“You don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to,” I whispered. In all honesty, I was scared for him to go on. It felt like my ears were deceiving me. I wanted to cry for my mate – I felt the emotions he was feeling. I felt sick listening to what Jade had to go through.

“It’s okay,” Weston said. “So anyways, I saw my dad with the pan in his hand. It was raised, like he was about to hit her again. I jumped in front of Jade, pushing my dad back. He stumbled, looking at me angrily. If he wasn’t locked up from his werewolf abilities, he would’ve shifted.

“He started yelling at me for protecting my sister – the girl that was a stupid idiot in his eyes. Imagine what Jade must’ve felt hearing that from her own dad. I asked him why he was doing this to his own daughter. He only laughed and said that Jade made food our mom always made. Well, of course Jade did. She learned how to cook from my mom.

“When I told him he was an asshole, I told him that was the last time he was ever going to see us. I started picking Jade off the floor, comforting her. The next thing I know, he took the kitchen knife and threatened us. I pushed Jade behind me, telling my dad to calm down. He was angry so he slashed my arm pretty deep,” Weston sighed, picking up his shirtsleeve to point out a light scar on his muscled bicep. Now that he pointed it out, I was well aware of it. I gasped lowly, picking up a shaking hand to trace it with my index finger.

Looks like we had a lot in common. Both of our dad’s harmed us.

Fate had a funny way of choosing mates for people.