Chapter 15

IN NEED OF MAJOR EDITING. 

ENJOY! 

DON'T HATE ME TOO MUCH. 

MUAH 

---

Abigail was doing much better. She was a little sore and she had a fever, but her health was improving gradually due to her werewolf abilities. She felt like she owed me her whole life, but it wasn’t in my best interest to look for something in return. I was the type to do favors for people because it was right – not because I was looking for a grand prize at the end of every good deed done.

Beau was proud of me for discovering a way to connect with my healing abilities. His training had also become more challenging. However, I succeeded at most of the tasks he gave to me. 

I’ve also discovered a new ability.

I tried it out on Abigail and her fever had gone down gradually. Beau was practically jumping up and down in excitement at my rare power. Apparently, I had the ability to better an illness, but only to a certain extent.

After the thousandth time of reciting the words repeatedly, my throat was as dry as sand paper. I ended our training and headed for the kitchen.

I went straight for the cupboard, reaching up on my tiptoes. In times like this, I cursed my short height.  I smiled in victory when the glass cup was safely in my hands.

“Hey,” a female greeted out of nowhere.  I jumped a foot in the air, startled. I turned around, clutching the glass to my chest.

“Oh, hey,” I said awkwardly when I saw Hayley sitting at the kitchen table on her cell phone.

“Sorry I scared you,” Hayley apologized, putting her phone down.

“Oh, no,” I waved off. “I just didn’t see you there. I was focused on getting myself a drink. My throat is as dry as the Sahara desert. Would you like something to drink?”

 “No, thank you,” Hayley said politely. “I’m just waiting for Weston to come down.”

I sit down on the seat across from her. Although it was extremely awkward, it was rude for me to leave Hayley here by herself. I took a sip of my water, feeling the cool liquid slide down my dry throat.

Hayley’s phone dinged, slicing through the awkward silence like a knife.

“Sorry,” she said, lowering the volume of her phone. “I’m texting my mother. It’s been a long time since I’ve talked to her. My parents are divorced.”

I was quite shocked with how easy it came from her lips. She didn’t seem the slightest bit embarrassed that her parents weren’t together anymore.

“It’s alright,” I said. “You should talk to your mom. I’m sorry to hear about your parents’ divorce.”

“My parents were divorced too,” I added when Hayley didn’t say anything. It surprised me that I was being open with her. I guess it was because we had something in common and it was the only thing to talk about. I’d rather say the most embarrassing things than sit here and stare at her while there was an awkward silence between the both of us.

“They were? So they got back together?” Hayley asked, folding her arms on top of the table.

“Not quite,” I said, shaking my head. I couldn’t believe I was sharing so much of my life with this stranger. “My dad died about fifteen months ago.”

Hayley’s eyes widened, her lips frowning. She was pitying me. I usually hated being pitied, but I’ve gotten used to it. “I’m so sorry, Danny,” Hayley said sincerely.