Chapter 21

The representatives stood in a single filed line, stretched across the green field. We stood about half a foot apart, stiff and restless. The only sounds that could be heard were the shuffling of our feet and the rustling of leaves.

The cold September air bit at my skin, making it much more uncomfortable. I was paranoid. Every time I heard the rustling of leaves, I would snap my eyes to the area Weston had informed us where they’d be coming from.

My heart was racing furiously. I’d constantly wipe my clammy palms on my sweater. My eyes were constantly open and alert. I kept shifting my weight from one foot to the other.

All of us kept staring at each other, silently wishing the other good luck. I stared at every one of them with gratitude. They all played big roles in my life and had given me so much to remember.

I may not be as close to Charles, Alex, and Dustin currently. It saddened me to think that we used to be inseparable, but they let pack rivalries get in the way of everyone’s friendship. Nonetheless, I was thankful that they watched out for me the very first few months I moved to Huntstown. They protected me from a ruthless Weston.

Stacey’s sapphire eyes were panicked. I remembered that very same look approximately fifteen months earlier when she was chained to the wall suffering countless injuries. She had gone through a lot, especially with her mate. I admired her for the strength and maturity she had to get back on her two feet and live life without wallowing in self-pity. She was one of my best friends – almost my sister. She was loud, girly, and was really good at peer mediation. Every girl needed a friend like that and I was lucky to have her in my life.

Jet was stoic, hiding his emotions very well. It seemed like just yesterday when Eli and him raced to my table my first day at our high school. They were the dynamic duo and Jet was the clumsy and awkward comedian. Although he was mean at times, I admired him for his straight forwardness and honesty.

Elliot stood protectively next to his mate, arms crossed over his chest. Eli was a class clown, happy going, and down to earth man. Although he was Beta, he treated us all with respect. He may seem like a ditz at first glance, but he was actually very smart. I remember when he would vent to me about Abigail. I remember his jokes and the way he’d get excited over the smallest things. He was one to appreciate the smallest things in life.

Abigail was the very first person to inform me about the Crescent Pack and their arrogance. I’d always tease her about being mated to one of them, but that joke always back fired on me. She had a hard time leaving Charles, but she was in love with Eli. She was always the bubbly one in our group of female friends (Abigail, me, Jade, and Stacey) and she was the weirdest out of all of us. It was hard not to laugh when you were around her.

I remember Jade was the first person I met at our high school. She was part of the unofficial welcoming committee. She was kindhearted, shy, and logical. She would always remind us to think of the consequences before doing what we thought of doing. She was the older sister in the group. She was mature for her age. She always cared for other people even if she didn’t know them. I admired her for artistic skills behind the camera lens and the way she was friendly towards everyone she met.

My cousin, Beau, was someone I owed a whole lot too. Not only did he teach me majority about Healers, he took time off his schedule just so he could support me over here. He didn’t even need to stand here with us today, but he did. Beau was a great man with great ambitions. I remember when he’d tell me the lamest jokes when I was down or take me out to coffee when our training was over. He treated me like his little sister. He watched over me and protected me. Although Beau seemed like the perfect person with the perfect life, he was broken in the inside. His mom committed suicide a week after his father passed away from a terrible car accident. Although this traumatic event happened in his life, he searched for his mate. He would recite one of his favorite quotes. “It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.” He will find his mate one day.