Chapter 19

It was late when everyone headed to bed or homes to get some rest. However, I doubt that any of us would be sleeping well tonight knowing that the attack was approaching. We couldn’t even eat devour our dinner like we usually do.

The silence at the table was sickening. We were all drowning in our own thoughts. It was the first quiet dinner that I had with the Crescent and Stone Pack.

Would we be lucky enough to have another dinner together?

I refused to dwell on the outcome of the problem. The more I thought about it, the more I scared myself. What I should be focused on was the problem itself and how we were going to carry it out.

I couldn’t sleep. It felt hot and stuffy in my room. I tossed and turned, causing the blankets and pillows to fall off my bed and onto the floor. After several minutes, I groaned and walked out.

Before I knew it, I came face to face with Weston’s door.

Softly knocking on it, I whispered, “Wes, it’s me.”

“Come in,” he said.

I opened his door slowly, inhaling his strong, mouth-watering scent. Worry lines creased my forehead as I saw him sitting on his bed with his head in his hands. I shuffled my feet all the way to him until I sat next to him.

I couldn’t find the right words to say. I didn’t exactly want to tell him he shouldn’t have to worry so much. That wasn’t such great advice at the time, especially since I was worried too.

“Hey,” I said, playing with his black hair. I wanted to take Weston’s mind off this whole problem – even for just a few minutes. “What do you call a fat psychic?”

“What?” He muttered, looking up at me. Under his blue eyes were dark bags. His jet-black hair was messed up, as if his hands been running through them all day. He was still in his clothes from earlier – dark jeans that looked great on him and a button up shirt.

I gave him a small smile. “A four chin teller.”

The corners of his lip twitched. He shook his head. “You’re lame, babe.”

“I’m cooler than you’ll ever be,” I joked. Weston snorted. When he didn’t say anything else, I spoke again. “I know this is such a stupid question to ask, but it never hurts to ask. Are you okay?”

Weston sighed, looking at me. There was a pang in my chest when I saw the broken look on his face. He looked away, staring at the carpet between his legs. “I’m freaking scared,” he murmured. “I’m scared that my sister will get hurt once again. I’m scared that the plan won’t go well. I’m scared to fail you guys. I’m scared to lose any of you. I’m scared that my mate won’t walk out of their alive and it’ll be all my fucking fault.”

My heart broke.

“Look,” I said sternly, grabbing his face in between my hands. “It’s okay to be scared, Wes. Just because you’re an Alpha, doesn’t mean that you have to shove all your emotions aside for business sake. We all make mistakes and we will all stand by you no matter what. I will be okay, I’ll make sure of it.”

“Promise me, Danny,” Weston said seriously, rubbing the small of my back with his warm hand. “That you’ll be okay.”

“I promise, Weston,” I whispered.

“If I don’t make it out alive, just know that I love you and I always will,” Weston whispered brokenly.

“Don’t say that,” I gasped. I could feel my eyes water from the way he doubted himself. “Don’t you dare say or think that, Weston Marshall.”