{5} You burn in my mind

For the first time since Daisy's spectacular return she was left alone; no one around to ask her questions and no more people for her to meet. It was nice. Daisy was the type of person who needed alone time, she could only deal with other people for so long before she needed to re-charge her people battery. She would usually use this time to call old friends and this time was no different.

She slipped out of the house when the two boys where no longer near her and walked into the forest, the cool air and soft rustle of leaves proved to be very calming and helped clear her head. She decided to call someone she had been meaning to call for a while, an old friend by the name of Myles.

She found a tree that looked comfortable enough to sit beneath, and found his contact name, it took her a while to build up the courage to press call but she eventually did. The line rang and rang, Daisy started to give up hope that he would actually answer her call, if she was him she probably answer herself either. On the very last ring a voice cut through the silence.

"Hello?''

"Hey, um it's me, Daisy."

"Daisy, whoa, where are you?" His voice showed his surprise, he did not expect Daisy to call, not after the way she left.

"Look, I'm safe; I'm visiting some old friends. I just wanted to call and apologize-"

"No, Daisy you don't need to apologize for anything. What happened, it wasn't your fault"

"Myles, just please let me say what I need to say, we both know I ran away from my problems and that was the coward way out. I left because I couldn't handle the pain of them both being gone, everything about that place reminded me of them." Holding back tears had become a daily routine for Daisy these past few days, she was getting extremely good at it.

"If I'm going to honest, I was mad for a long time, but I forgive- we forgive you. Daisy, you gotta come home."

"I want to, I really do but I can't. I'm gonna come and visit to see how everyone's going."

"Give me a call when you decide when you're coming, I gotta go right now but I'll call you soon okay, love you."

"Love you too."

Her hands fell limply to her lap and tears of pain regret and guilt slipped down her nose and onto her open palms, she missed everything about her old home. She missed her old friends even her old house.

The horror filled memory she tried so hard to forget re-surfaced and played on a loop in her head. The screams and cries slipped into her brain and haunted her. She never wanted people to know what happened, she didn't want to be known as a monster.

"Not all people who run from their problems are cowards, they just know when the fight is over-" Stefan looked down at Daisy with a forced smile on his face; he had heard the whole conversation. She seemed to be in genuine pain and for the first time since she had returned to his life he started to notice how when she smiled it didn't reach her eyes and also looked like something was at the back of her mind itching, screaming to be heard.

Daisy was quick to wipe her tears, she looked up at Stefan through wet eyelashes, "-not sure what wise scholar said that, but it doesn't matter because you don't have to hide from me, I'm here for you. If you ever feel alone just remember you got me in your corner."

Stefan took Daisy's silence as an invitation to sit down. He could see she was battling with herself on whether to tell him the truth or not. Daisy reached for her phone in her lap and brought up a photo. She handed the phone to Stefan and leant her head back against the tree trunk; taking in a deep breath she started her story "Caleb Detroi, the epic love of my life. We met when I moved to a small town in California, we fell utterly in love. We had this group of friends that were not clueless about the life I lived, in fact they were mostly all supernatural as well."

The phone lay limply in Stefan's lap, the image of two people in love burning into his mind, making a permanent brand. She did genuinely look happy, her smile was wide and she was pulling a matching pose with the boy next to her. He must of be Caleb, god did Stefan feel jealous, jealous of something he and Daisy could have had.

"When bad things came to town we protected it, fought the bad guys and won. There was this one time where everything that could have went wrong, did. Caleb was possessed by a dark spirit; it thrived of chaos, pain and strife. It took over his body and mind until Caleb was no longer left. The spirit destroyed our town, when we figured out how to kill it, it killed my best friend. We were all busy trying to help her and he got away. She died saving me; she jumped in front of a wooden stick to save me. If it weren't for me she would still be breathing today. After that I packed up and left town, no goodbye, heck I didn't even stay for the funeral. That's why Myles was angry at me, he needed someone to blame for her death and he couldn't blame Caleb because the spirit possessing him left town with his body, and he was mad at me because I just left and never turned back."

The wind brought silence over the two like a blanket, it creeped over them un-noticed until I was literally on top of them. Stefan gently placed his hand over Daisy's, interlocking their fingers. This small gesture spoke a million words. He didn't need to tell her she did nothing wrong because he knew she wouldn't believe him. Daisy's head fell to the side and rested on Stefan's shoulder. This moment felt perfect, his warm shoulder beneath her head and his big hand fitting perfectly with her own small one.

---

Elena walked into the Salvatore house and was greeted by a delicious smell. She walked into the kitchen to find Daisy cooking and her boyfriend and Damon drinking bourbon.

"Elena, hey. Are you staying for dinner?" Daisy asked a little flustered.

Elena nodded and walked over to Stefan wrapping her arms around him in a hug. Damon walked away after grimacing at the sight.

He entered the kitchen and stood in the corner watching Daisy, she was chopping carrots trying to stay focused on her work but couldn't with Damon staring at her. She threw a carrot at him as a signal for him to stop but he retaliated by throwing the carrot back at her. This started a full on war, vegetables were being pegged across the room, shields being made out of chairs and chopping boards. They only stopped when Stefan yelled at them to stop being children but Daisy quickly retorted, "You only want us to stop because you're worried your hero hair will get hurt!"

The two then went back to cooking and laughing, and all four had the best night ever. Daisy's mind was clear from guilt for a small amount of time and it was all thanks the Stefan.

-Another chapter done! Sorry if it's bad but I wanted to explain a small part of what happened to Daisy when she was on her own. Anyway, please let me know what you think. Sorry for any typo's. Also the photo attached Is the photo Daisy shows Stefan of her and Caleb.

-kisses Em xx