{8} The depression

Daisy hated three things in this world: Underwear lines, non-crispy bacon and Damon Salvatore. He never failed to make her life a living hell, let's be real he still loved her but he felt a pleased feeling whenever he made her yell out 'f—k off Damon!' He decided that today, Saturday, he would try and get this amazing reaction out of her. He sent her off the Mystic Grill with Stefan while he schemed.

Clueless Daisy and Stefan were sitting in a booth waiting for Elena and Bonnie to arrive. He had invited the girls to have lunch with them because he wanted them to get to know her better. Daisy had talked to them a few times during the school week, enough times to figure out Elena was human, Caroline was a vampire and Bonnie was a witch. They also apparently knew that Damon and Stefan were vampires, and obviously had figured out she was a vampire. So, everyone was on the same page about everyone, but tension still remained and Daisy could see it clear as day. Daisy thought her best asset was her ability to figure people out, twas a blessing and a curse.

Stefan peered at Daisy; she looked to be wondering off into space. A concentrated look across her beautiful features. He appreciated the way her hair always fell into the right place or how her beautiful smile light up any room. She snapped out of her thoughts when the bell at the front door rang out. Elena and Bonnie walked in and Daisy visibly calmed, was she afraid it was someone else?

His thoughts were forgotten when Daisy placed a fake smile upon her face and greeted both girls with 'hello's' and 'hi, how have you been's'. Bonnie plucked up conversation with Daisy about her life when she was on her own.

"So, Daisy, what did you get up too on your own adventures?" Bonnie sounded genuinely interested.

"Well, life is amazing. It gives us adventure and mystery and my life has been a mixture of both. Would you believe me if I told you I had my very own Cinderella story?" Daisy's eyes fluttered as she remembered the story.

"No way! No girl is that lucky" Bonnie gasped as Elena leant into their conversation.

"Yes way, it's a story worth being in a fairy tale and I've never told anyone, would you like to be the first?" Bonnie nodded her head and Daisy cleared her throat.

"1930's France, the depression had taken hold and we'd thought it would never leave. Women were expected to work, oh the horror of being un-wed, you were a disgrace. Anyway, fun was a hard thing to come by, but alas a huge party was thrown by a new rich white man. Every young bachelorette was invited to find a husband even if not the mysterious man. I had spent days stitching a dress with all the lace and frill I could. I'd also had to find a masquerade mask, considering every Cinderella story begins with mystery." The three listeners where taking in every detail intently. Daisy accented her story by rolling her eyes and making expressions.

She continued on, "My best friend and I arrived just past seven. We entered holding our dresses and covering our faces. The night went on and I hadn't even a glimpse of the host. He sure did make an entrance. Standing at the top of a broadened staircase he simply raised his glass. Later in the evening I left the ballroom for some fresh air, I found a seat in the garden and just sat and took in the moment. I soon felt a presence beside me, cool blue eyes met mine and I was entranced. He spoke in an accent that would send any girl swooning. His velvet voice perfectly matched him; a soft hum of the music was heard from the bench we were sitting upon. He stood up and held out his hand, we started dancing, he smiled at me and my world stopped spinning for a moment. In that one moment everything seemed okay. I didn't even learn his name before his guards came and swept him away. It was a sure tragedy, but a Cinderella story none the less."

Stefan felt a pang in his chest that he was sure was jealousy, what had he been doing in the 1930's? Probably wallowing over a glass of bourbon after his ripper phase. Daisy had been spending her nights in French mansions sipping expensive champagne. He saw how she reflected back on this memory with a smile; he now remembered why he loved her, as a friend and as more. She always knew the right way to make him feel better when he was sad; she always forgave him when he forgot he was supposed to take her to the store or even that one time she made a boy from town cry because he was saying bad things about Stefan. How did he get by without her for as long as he did? He may never know.

"-you never saw him again?!" Stefan tuned back into the conversation, hearing Elena speak.

"No, I never did. I never dwelled on the fact; he is more than likely a 90 year old man by now." Daisy giggled.

Daisy started to feel comfortable around the two girls as conversation went on, she however could not stop taking sneaky glances at Stefan. She remembered the way she used to feel about him, it was the best time of her life.

---

Ever since Daisy's phone call with Myles she had wanted to go home. Her life for more than 5 years had resided there. She had built strong friendships with people who she considered family; she needed to be around her family. After the losses that her family endured she wasn't sure she would feel at home there anymore. I mean, she needed to tie up loose ends but she could say what she wanted to say over the phone right? No, these were good people. They liked truth and they liked it face to face. She hadn't the nerve to go home yet, maybe in another month or so. Yeah, that seemed like a good idea. It was blindingly bright that she was ignoring the problem and pushing it away but she would face this eventually.

Her mind was filled with these thoughts the whole drive back to the Salvatore boarding house, it wasn't that long of a drive but it felt longer with each toxic thought. Stefan's nimble hands shook Daisy's shoulder gently, signalling they were home now. A small sigh left her lips and they both opened their doors. She walked ahead of Stefan, he watched the curve of her hips move with every step she took and noticed how the jeans she was wearing fit her perfectly in all the right places. How her hair fell into place and how her beautiful face smiled at him. Elena was slipping form his mind and he knew this but wouldn't accept it.

When the duo entered the house it was quiet. Not a single sound. The silence fell upon them much like the darkness did no lights where on, the fireplace stood cold. They shared look of discomfort as they progressed further into the house. The living room light flickered on and then suddenly off, something was definitely wrong. Daisy could almost swear this old creaky house was haunted. If ghosts were real she was sure there would be a million of them lining up to get revenge on Damon. Stefan walked forward and grabbed Daisy's cold hand, a small gasp emitted from her mouth as he did this, she subconsciously knew it was from the electricity that ran through her body at the simple touch but her rational mind took it as a gasp of fear. Stefan also heard her gasp; he didn't think much of it because his mind was telling him to keep her safe. He walked forward and tugged her along with him.

Daisy took light steps trying to blend in to the silence. A loud crash interrupted the silence and they both flattened against the wall hoping not to be heard. Stefan looked to his left and saw Daisy biting her full lips; he nodded at her as a signal that they were going to check out the noise.

She nodded in return and they once again started to move forward. When they reached the doorway leading into the kitchen Stefan tightened his grip, they only took one step into the kitchen before Damon pushed a bucket that had appeared out of nowhere and let its contents fall onto Daisy and Stefan.

Damon was holding his stomach from laughter at the site of Daisy and Stefan drenched in water. It was no secret that vampires hated water and this was beautiful. Daisy pushed her soaking wet strawberry blonde hair from her face as Stefan had a horrified look on his face because his hero hair was ruined. Damon pulled out his phone and told them to smile which was the last straw for Daisy, without thinking she yelled out "F—k off Damon!".

She knew as soon as she said it, she had let Damon win. He loved provoking her when they were humans, he would relentlessly harass her with pranks and tricks until she would yell out the very un-ladylike expression. Stefan saw that he was just collateral damage in the plan to get a reaction out of Daisy, he too loved to scheme with Damon to get this reaction.

Daisy looked up at Damon with venomous eyes and a cheeky smile on her face; she used her vampire speed to race over and hug Damon, effectively soaking him as well. Now, it was her turn to laugh.

They laughed until Daisy's phone chimed, she pulled in out of her back pocket and it was usefully still working. She had received a text from an un-known number. One that made her heart sink and her mouth dry up.

'You think you can hide from me but I will always find you'

- Sorry it took so long, I have no excuse. But can anyone guess who the text is from? Also do people like the prank war that is starting or no? I love feedback because it helps me create a better story so let me know.

→Kisses Em xx