Chapter Six

~~Sixteen years later~~

I had finished high school when I was only twelve years old. I went to college for four years and majored in several different majors while also being in the marines. Now, I'm twenty-one years old and working at NCIS- officially, I mean. A lot has happened there. Everyone's gotten older.

It'll be my first time seeing everyone since I was twelve. My dad and I are a lot closer since my mom died, which was when I was five almost six.

I moved my fingers through my hair and waited inside the elevator as it took me up to the Bullpen where Gibbs's team worked on their cases. Then the doors swing open as I step out and walk over to my dad's desk, who wasn't even here yet. I lean against the desk, my arms folded against my chest, waiting.

McGee walked in and over to his desk then, noticing me. "Who are you?" He asked curiously.

I smile and tilt my head over at him, raising my eyebrows in an amused way. "You don't recognize me, McMuffin?" I tease him.

"Rowan?" McGee said surprised, walking over to me, "Wow. You look different. In a good way, I mean."

I roll my eyes and comment, "You're still such a dork." I laugh and then look around. "Where's the rest of the team?"

"Don't know." McGee replied, checking his watch, "It's only-"

"0500." I cut him off, "Yeah, I know. What're you doing here so early?"

"I always come in at this time." McGee replied sheepishly.

"Why are you embarrassed about that?" I ask quizzically, standing up straight and facing him all the way.

"I- I just... It's kind of-" He said, flustering.

"Dorky? Nah. You're just punctual. There's nothing wrong with that, McGeek." I reply, walking behind Tony's desk and sitting down in the chair, propping my legs up on the table.

"Thank you. Wait. You were mocking me, weren't you?" He asked as I give him a cheeky grin. "Cute."

"Aw. You called me cute." I mock him.

"I- Nevermind." He said as I laugh again. He sat down at his desk as I spin my chair around to my side to watch him work. "What?" He asked after ten minutes had passed.

"Whatcha working on?" I ask curiously.

"Work." McGee answered vaguely. I roll my eyes and move my chair over to his side and look at what he was typing. "Rowan, what are you even doing here?" He asked, looking from the computer to me.

"I'm now hired by NCIS and part of this team officially now." I announce proudly.

"What? Why?" He asked.

"Because I'm qualified now. I've majored in several computer, medical, law, film, writing, and science majors- To say the least, I couldn't decide on just one major." I answer, "And I went to John Hopkins University and MIT while being a marine and won the medal of valor."

He stared a little wide eyed at me. "Wow. You've been busy these past nine years since we last saw you."

"Oh, you have no idea." I reply, "I'm not gonna lie. There were a lot of sleepless nights." I shrug.

"I bet." McGee commented as I notice Gibbs walking in. I rolled the chair back over to my dad's desk.

"Welcome back, Rowan." Gibbs said as McGee looked up from his computer, surprised to see him already here, and looked back at his computer.