I - iv THE POW'R YOU HAVE

Isabella can't imagine herself at the Fairmont. She was invited, of course, since she was part of the human backdrop that will be all over the business news pages tomorrow. Cable news is already airing the same four clips in the top left corner of the screen; Isabella and company smiling in the background, while the pundits argue about the impact that Angelo Lord's ascension will have on the stock valuation. Then a cut to an ad for erectile dysfunction.

The reception at the hotel ballroom would have been as informal as formal can be in the world that is Silicon Valley. It would have been quite the experience, she thinks, imagining the who's who of the corporate elite and shining stars of the money making machine called Alpha, all assembled together in an exquisite old hotel. There would have been a jazz band playing for the hipsters, and all kinds of craft beer and cocktails she would never have heard of. She doesn't like to drink anyway. Isabella isn't the cocktail party kind of girl. So, when she saw the shuttle bus back to Mountain View, the vision of her in her apartment, in her jammies, curling up on the sofa, maybe Skyping with mom, maybe reading, those images filled her with a longing for home, she took the step and boarded the bus.

Isabella is content here in the apartment she shares with Francisca. She feels at home. Francisca seems nice enough, though she has only known her a few days. She is older, early thirties probably, but she is pleasant to her. The place is furnished tastefully, decorated conservatively and laid out sensibly. Really, Isabella couldn't think of a better location, given the impossible rental situation in the Palo Alto and Bay areas. The older home in which they live has been divided into three apartments, and her brother, Claude, was able to find a vacant room through an internal company posting. The woman upstairs, an outgoing and charming Filipino named Lucy, owns the house and also is a senior manager in the marketing division of Alpha's Bay Area office. Looking around the apartment, Isabella feels blessed. And glad she left the company shindig for a quiet Friday night at home.

That is when there is a knock on the door.

Francisca yells from the bathroom. "Are you expecting anyone Izzy?" She is getting ready to go out for the night with friends. Although it is still early, Isabella has no intention of leaving her sofa, except to head to bed. She has had enough public performance for one day.

"No, I'm not. I'll ask who it is."

Isabella cautiously opens the door a crack. She sees a short woman, with a bottle of wine in her hand. It takes a moment for her to recognize her landlord, Lucy.

"Hi Ms. Lumalabas. What I can I do for you?" Isabella unclasps the security chain and opens the door.

"Just a little social visit, that's all. I saw that you were home and figured you ditched the festivities in the city. Thought we might have a drink, just us girls. You know, to welcome you to the center of the universe here in the Valley." She smiles a warming grin, and adds, "and it's Lucy. Please, call me Lucy."

Isabella isn't excited about hosting a senior colleague from work, someone she doesn't really know, and it seems to Isabella, someone who looks like she has already consumed a fair bit tonight. It's not like she is smashed or anything, but Lucy looks to be in a festive spirit. Isabella just wants to curl up with a book, then go to bed. But, Lucy is a manager at Alpha and Isabella feels she should probably oblige the visitor. She doesn't like to feel pressured and really, just wants the burning indecision she is feeling to go away.

"Ok, Lucy, that would be nice—but just a short visit. I have had a tiring day."

"Oh yes, with the stage performance and all. I saw you up there. You looked amazing. My God girl, you are beautiful. That is why I submitted your name to be part of the chorus. Anyway, where do you keep your corkscrew?" Lucy flies off into the kitchen as Francisca comes out of the bathroom.