V - v AND MEASURE STILL FOR MEASURE

Isabella can't believe her eyes. Nor can she understand the series of events that led to this surprise encounter with William Fryer, here, in a secret room at the gates of Alpha. The last time she saw him, he was driving away from the Santa Barbara beach house, a married man returning to his wife and kids. 

She has had a lot of time to think about him. Looking back, she can't believe that she didn't see the signs. The clandestine phone calls, his unwillingness to talk about his personal life, sneaking away for a secret rendezvous in a different town, something that he likely would have explained to his wife was a business trip. Plus there was the fact that it would be impossible that such a gorgeous man would not already be in a relationship. But what Isabella can't understand is why he never made a move on her. Never made a pass, not even a subtle suggestion. She doubts that is the behavior of an adulterer. 

When Isabella returned to the beach house that night, she was alone. There was a note on the kitchen table telling her that someone would be picking her up to drive her to the airport, and that a flight to San José was booked. Everything was looked after, the note said. There was no other explanation. And now, he is here, and in a few seconds he will be standing beside her. 

But she notices that she is not the only one staring at William Fryer. Maybe not with the same look of shock as she must be showing, but there are smiles, like one would give to a dear old friend upon their return, or mouths open, like they are amazed, or people looking at each other, wondering what is going on. It seems that he is certainly making an impact here today. 

But the impression seems deepest on Angelo. He is up front, on the riser beside Escalus. When William enters, everyone on the stage stands, including Angelo. Lucy, apparently unaware of what is going on, stands with the others. There are heads bowing and people saying "sir" when he looks at them. Angelo jumps down from the riser and motions Fryer to take his seat. Escalus places his hand on William's back and says, "ladies and gentlemen—Mr. Vincent Duke!" 

 Isabella is confused. She looks at Vincent Duke, or the person she thought was Vincent Duke, and sees him step back, his hand extend forward to welcome William, or the person she thought was William Fryer. Angelo, meanwhile, looks like he is about to drop to his knees at the feet of Fryer-Duke. 

Escalus, smiling, raises a hand. "When I opened this committee meeting, I mentioned the importance of confidentiality. I said that there would be things revealed here today that are not to become public information. One of these is the true identity of Vincent Duke. Vincent has always taken steps to keep his identity private and his life out of the public eye. For some of you, it may come as a surprise to learn that Mr. Gonzago here, is an actor we use to play the part of Mr. Duke for public appearances." 

The man who Isabella believed was Mr. Duke, bends and bows his head. There are some murmurs and whispers, but it is obvious that this is not news to most of the panel. Lucy has her head down. 

"But I take it that none of you realized that Vincent here was with us all the time, working the floor, as it were, the CEO in disguise. Welcome back to the surface, Vincent." 

Isabella can't move. She is paralyzed, frozen in place, with the realization that the man with whom she has spent most of the past week, who drove her to Santa Barbara, with whom she shared those intimate moments, who she practically invited into her bath, the man she had fallen for, is actually Vincent Duke, one of the world's most powerful entrepreneurs. And now he stands beside her, ready to accuse his colleague of sexual misconduct. She knows he will. 

Vincent Duke, the real Vincent Duke—she still can't get her head around this—speaks. "Charles, thank you. You have been loyal and faithful, and I am looking forward to telling you my tale. Angelo, what do you have to say now?"