V - viii WHAT'S MINE IS YOURS

The room is quiet for a moment, then the man who came into the room with Vincent, Lucy's friend Pompey, speaks up. "Actually, sir, I too need to confess to something." Vincent looks puzzled as Pompey walks to the front, joining Isabella, Mariana and the seated Angelo. 

"As you know, or I guess Mr. Fryer knew, I was the one who was charged with carrying out Claude Measures' termination notice and publishing it in the Blue Pages. Well, the thing is, the man who we agreed would be fired in lieu of Mr. Measures, a fellow by the name of Bernardine, well, as it turns out, is not a bad guy at all. He is just little misunderstood. I must confess that I never proceeded with his termination and instead, used the I.D. from a guy called Ragoni, who is actually dead. Bernardine is still on salary at Alpha."

Vincent scowls. Isabella has never seen his mouth twisted like this before. He looks around the room. "I asked that everyone involved in this mess be brought to this hearing. Is Bernardine here?"

"Yes, Mr. Duke! He is here, with me," Pompey squeaks.

Once again the door opens to reveal three more. Isabella is surprised to see her brother Claude enter; she thought he wouldn't be permitted anywhere near the Alpha complex. Behind him is a red-eyed Juliet, and a handsome, hip-looking man in tight red pants. Pompey appears giddy with excitement as he runs to the door, takes Berardine by the hand and leads him to the stage. Proudly, Pompey introduces him to Vincent Duke.

"So, Fryer told me about this man," Vincent chuckles. "Apparently, you are a stubborn soul who seems to have some loyal supporters. For whatever faults you were condemned, I hereby pardon. Mr. Pompey, although you were acting without authorization, you have proven yourself to have been working in the best interests of Alpha, and acting for that which is right. If Mr. Pompey believes in you Mr. Bernardine, who am I to say otherwise? I wish the best to the two of you."

"Thank you sir," Pompey says. He is still holding his friend's hand.

"And, as for you, Pompey, your courage and action in all of this warrant reward, not condemnation. We shall find you a role more worthy within the organization. I understand that Ms. Lumalabas's position is becoming available, due to her upcoming termination."

Lucy looks up, her mouth open, her face white. "Mr. Duke, whatever do you mean?"

"Lucy, you are a fine actress, but you may be better suited for roles on stage than in the corporate world. I have seen you to play the part of a meddler, a slanderer, a self-serving manipulator. And this is only in the short time that I have known you."

Lucy raises her voice, until she is almost shouting. "You can't be serious. You are going to fire me because I said things about you when I didn't even know you were you? You don't know me either!"

"Maybe it is that you don't know yourself Lucy. I know that you are not achieving your potential here. Your heart is not at Alpha, Lucy. I can see that. Life is too short to be wasting your time trying to find out who you are, or to be pretending you are something you are not."

Mariana moves to Lucy, reaches out and places a hand on her shoulder. "Sister, don't worry. There are some things in the works that you might be interested in. Remember I told you that I am putting together a team for my new company? We are doing some cutting-edge R and D stuff. I am looking for someone who can work in conjunction with the research team at M.I.T. It will involve a lot of travel to Boston, or the new position may even end up being located there." Isabella senses by Mariana's smile that she knows more than she is letting on. Lucy becomes quiet, which is out of character for her, and steps back.

Vincent looks at the line of petitioners in front of him and approaches Claude. Behind him is Juliet. "And you are Claude?"

"Yes sir."

Turning to Isabella, Vincent asks: "And what about the man who would sell his own sister in order to get his job back? Would you have him pardoned too Isabella?"

Isabella looks at Juliet, not Claude. She sees Juliet as her sister now, and knows that she is carrying his child. It is Juliet that must accept her husband, not Isabella. Let them work it out. There will be other trials ahead, for them. She will have her hands full.

Isabella nods to Vincent.

"Very well then."

Vincent turns to Claude. "Isabella, if your brother is anything like you, for his sake, he deserves to be pardoned. Give me your hand and say you will be mine and then he will be my brother too."

Isabella's heart stops. She thinks he said something about taking her hand. Is he offering her a deal too, just like Angelo did? Or something else? She doesn't know if that is literal, in that she is supposed to stick out her hand, offer it to him to take? And, if so, for what purpose? Or, if he was speaking figuratively, that means he is asking for her hand, as in—wait—but he did say 'you will be mine.'

Somehow, Isabella is still able to raise her arm and place her hand in his, the same hand she held on the beach. And now she finds herself standing next to Vincent Duke, looking out at the group assembled in front of them: Claude and Juliet, Mariana and Angelo, Pompey and Bernardine, Lucy, and whomever it is she is texting, Escalus, clerks, lawyers, a justice of the peace, and a few others. She realizes that she is still holding Vincent's hand. And now, she notices that her heart is beating again.

Vincent squeezes her hand and they look at each other. William Fryer, or Vincent Duke, is staring at Isabella, and she sees a watery glaze in his eyes as he smiles at her. He turns to face the audience, clears his throat, and approaching each of them in turn, begins his proclamation with Claude, saying to him, "Claude Measures, you have wronged your sister, yet she has risked everything for you. Now prove her right."

He takes a step  and faces Mariana. "Mariana, all the best to you. I know your business venture will be a success. I foresee great things ahead for you and your team, and I am honored that I was asked to help. It was the least I could do." 

Vincent Duke smiles at Mariana, then faces Angelo Lord. "Angelo, by the grace of Isabella, you have been given a new life. Use her gift well. Treat Mariana with respect. Don't hurt her, Angelo. I have gotten to know her better recently, and I know her virtue. I also know her shrewdness, so be warned." Angelo's head quickly snaps to look at Mariana, his jaw dropping suddenly. Mariana flashes him a quick grin.

Then, moving to Escalus, Vincent says, "Charles, thank you friend, for your goodness. You have done much that has yet to be acknowledged."

And finally, to Pompey and Bernadine: "Thank you Pompey, for your care and secrecy; we shall employ you in a worthier place."

There are giggles, there are gasps, there are whispers as Vincent acknowledges each of the players. Then choking on his words as he speaks, his eyes are more than glazed, Isabella sees the tear hit his cheek as he turns to her. "Dear Isabel, I have a proposal for you, if you are willing to hear me."

Still holding her hand, Vincent Duke drops to one knee before her. She is looking down at the man, kneeling, holding her hand above him, as if to kiss her ring in adoration. He speaks loudly and with authority, and with timbre that resonates throughout the hall. "Let me declare this for everyone to hear: Isabella Measures, I love you. You have shown yourself to be above me, above everyone, with your mercy and with your love. If you will have me, I would be blessed if I could share my life with you. From now on, what's mine is yours, and what is yours is mine. Let me show you who I am, let me show everyone who I really am. Together, we shall go forth and face the world and this time, I too will be given a new life by your grace."

Isabella knows his words are true. With the same clarity of vision she felt when she knew she had to forgive Angelo, and the same absolute certainty with which she trusted William Fryer, she feels his truth. There is a warmth from within that fills her, a light that flows through her, a peace that showers her with the understanding that this man, despite whatever sins he may have committed, is worthy of her love. He is a good man, and together, with her, they shall do great things in this world.

"Yes Vincent, yes."

                                      Exeunt