V - iv MOLDED OUT OF FAULT

Who the hell is Mr. Fryer? Angelo hasn't heard of most of these jokers before, and now there is a Mr. Fryer? And this Lucy Lumalabas is quite a piece of work. If that is who Isabella has on her side, he doesn't have much to worry about—not that he ever did. He has been exonerated since Isabella reappeared. Now all he has got to do is wiggle out of this sexual harassment business, have the Board reappoint him back as CEO, after his brief, they'll call it, 'leave'. The guy posing as Vincent Duke will disappear back to whatever Off-Broadway show he was working on before they hired him to be Vincent's stand-in. Maybe they should keep him on a retainer in case something like this happens again and they need the public persona to make a cameo. What a farce. 

Angelo looks at Isabella. He understands how he could let all this happen, and he hates himself for it. Here, he prides himself on his discipline and self-control, yet he can't help himself when it comes to her. Is it her beauty, her youth, her purity? There's something about her that defies rational explanation. Maybe the attraction is to that which seems so innocent. Maybe it is about a new start.

The actor playing the role of Vincent Duke is about to speak. He returns his mind to the tribunal. "And you know this Mr. Fryer, Ms. Lumalabas?" 

"Yes sir, I know him, but I have to say," she pauses for a moment, as though she is back peddling, lowers her voice, and says, " I wouldn't trust the man. He said certain things against you, Mr. Duke." 

"Even if he did, that really isn't relevant to this issue, Ms. Lumalabas. Do you think he would come to the defence of this woman here, the one who is accusing my substitute? Can someone find me this Fryer?" 

"He works in Human Resources, sir," Lucy says. 

The man named Peter adds, "I know him. He is new in H.R. He seems like a nice enough fellow. I never heard him say anything negative about anyone before." 

Lucy's jaw drops, and she glances to both sides, as though she is looking around for a way out. "He is most villainous, I tell you," she mumbles. 

The actor plays it tough. "Well, until such time as this Fryer shows himself and reveals some hidden evidence, Isabella can be considered to be fabricating lies in order to bring down Mr. Lord, and this company. To what end, I cannot guess, but I suspect that our own Ms. Lumalabas might, in fact, know more than she is letting on—perhaps she is even part of a conspiracy with Ms. Measures." He points to Isabella. "Get her out of here for now. We will want to hear her confession later, after we locate this Fryer." 

Two security men escort Isabella through the back door. Angelo feels relieved, yet, at the same time, wishes he could be in that room with her, just for a minute or two. He wouldn't hurt her. He would apologize. 

Charles Escalus stands. There is a feeling of adjournment in the room, but Angelo knows it is only a recess. There will be more business ahead. Angelo notices that one of the men on the panel—he sees his name is Pompey—the man who never said anything throughout the proceedings but only looked at his phone, now stands and quickly exits the room. 

Charles motions to Angelo to approach. In a whisper, he says, "you are not smiling Angelo. Are you not amused by the vanity of these wretched fools? Come, take a seat up here my friend, you can be the judge now." 

Angelo smiles. It looks like they're good again. A minor bump in the road to prosperity, but they got over it. Angelo sits in the actor's chair while he stands and calls out to Peter. "Bring in the next witness." 

Angelo's heart jumps. Next witness? What the hell? He looks around to Escalus, then up to the man playing Duke. They are both looking across the room to a woman who enters and approaches the bench.