Chapter 25

Brielle and Arthur had been sitting in the back seat of a car, devoid of air conditioning in the hot sultry weather for over two hours. The traffic was appalling and the car stopped every two minutes. Brielle personally thought she could get to the airport faster if she just got off and  walked. Jack had chosen the cheapest ride for them in an attempt to protect them from being spotted by Zachary and his men.

"Why the hell did he send us off to the airport so bloody early?" hissed Brielle angrily. Arthur's eyebrows shot up to the top of his head upon hearing her curse. She glowered at him. Why was it such a big deal if she let off steam once in a while? Poor Arthur looked frightened.

"Oh, sorry." she said sheepishly giving a smile. "Its just that there's still over three hours left for the flight, and he told us to---no practically kicked us out of the hotel. Why is he in such a hurry to get rid of us anyway?"

"Mr. Dixon said he had some important work." said Arthur loyally.

"I'm sure." said Brielle irritably. " Why can't he Jack be more clear? We needn't have come all this way just to turn back. He's selfish and arrogant and just plain rude. I didn't even get a chance to pick up any souvenirs. The only sightseeing I've done is by sitting in this steam room of a car for over two hours."

"Miss Brielle, isn't that a shop over there?" said Arthur pointing to a pretty little handiwork shop across the street. Beautiful necklaces and hand printed cloth hung on the windows. 

"Oh yes!" exclaimed Brielle happily. "Do you think we could go there for five minutes. I'm sure we can catch up with the car if we walk fast."

"Yes!" said Arthur keen to get out of the hot car. He poked the driver on the shoulder.

"Yes?" he asked turning around and giving them both a tired look. Brielle could only wonder how difficult it must be for him to drive in the streets everyday, when the weather was so bad.

"Could we get off here for a few minutes? I'd like to visit the shop across the street." asked Brielle.

"Hmm. " said the man pinching his nose as he looked at the shop and remarked. "Alright. But please come back quickly. I will wait outside."

"Thank you." said Brielle as Arthur and she got off and rushed to the shop.

***

Jack Dixon swung the leather jacket over his white t-shirt and straightened the collar. Black jeans and thick soled white sports shoes clad his lower body. He looked and felt ready. The revolvers inside his jacket pressed against his chest as he walked out of the hotel. The second he did, he was no longer Jack Dixon. He was a man on a mission that he had to execute under any circumstance. 

He was glad he was alone.

His strides were brisk and people stopped to look. A beautiful motorbike greeted him a couple of blocks away, and he felt like nothing had changed when he straddled it. He expertly lit a cigerette with a lighter and placed it in his mouth. He took a deep breath, closing his eyes and savouring the taste. Watching the smoke escape from his nostrils, he realized how much he had missed this. 

He clasped the revolver's handle inside his jacket and started the motorbike engine. It sprang to life as he hit the accelerator. The prized bike still worked brilliantly as he raced through the crowded streets, dodging the traffic easily. 

He had his phone in his pocket, but the battery was taken out. He was not having anyone track his movements, not even Axky. The dust rose up around him as he hit a dirt road. He smiled wryly. It was amazing how he still remembered the way after all these years.

The musty rotting motel was probably still there where he'd last seen it. And he knew full well that that was where he would find Zachary. He could not forgive him for what he had done to his family all those years ago. But to have messed with Brielle was taking matters too far. His blood boiled as he thought of the several ways he had hurt her. He pressed the accelerator harder, displacing the dirt beneath. The motorbike became almost hidden by the cloud of dust around it.

Jack didn't mind being unseen. He liked dropping by unannounced and fully prepared. It gave him an edge. If Zachary had not anticipated this, he was an idiot, and nothing could save him. 

It was going to be one hell of a showdown.

***

"This is beautiful!" exclaimed Brielle trying on a pink scarf.

"Yes miss!" said Arthur happily picking up a necklace and showing  it to her. "Do you think Janine will get back together with me  if I give her this?"

Brielle didn't know how to answer the question without hurting his feelings.

"Perhaps," she said optimistically. "But I'm sure she would still want to be your friend."

"Friendzone sucks." he declared.

Brielle laughed as she took the items to the counter and paid for them. They left the shop quickly looking around for the car. Sure enough it was waiting for them a little while ahead. She was surprised to notice that the traffic had suddenly disappeared. All the cars were whizzing past. Brielle concluded that the flyover must have opened to ease the congestion.

"Carry these for me?" she asked Arthur. "I need to fix my shoelaces. You go ahead, I'll be right there."

"Okay." said Arthur as he crossed the road quickly. 

Brielle bent low to tie her shoelace, and in an instant someone clasped her mouth from behind and pulled her into a shadowy alley.

She held her breath, recognizing the smell of chloroform on the handkerchief over her mouth. She tried to kick and struggle, but the lack of oxygen was making her weak. Jack...

Shee would die if she didn't breathe. Who knows what would happen to her if she did? She had no choice, as she let the chloroform entered her nostrils and within seconds she went limp in her attacker's arms.

"Like snatching candy from a baby." said a large burly man as the similar looking man who was holding Brielle, nodded in agreement. They stuffed her into the trunk of a car and shut it tight. This was routine work to them now. They didn't even think twice before getting inside and starting the engine.

Arthur didn't hear , over the sound of wheels on the pitch road, and he didn't turn around in time to see. But when he got inside the cab and looked through the window, Brielle was nowhere to be seen. Had she gone back inside the store?

He got out of the cab and tried to cross the street.  Just then a black Mercedes sped by very fast, almost knocking him down. Arthur yelled obscenities at them as he struggled to regain balance, but the the two large men in the front seat paid no heed to him. Arthur ran to the shop, but Brielle was not inside. Disheartened he came out, stamping on something soft and silky.

A familiar abandoned pink scarf was lying on the footpath.

A/N : Apologies for the late update! (forgive me? please? *puppy dog eyes*)

Any thoughts about this chapter? What do you think is happening? 

(I'll give you a hint, remember the conversation between Axky and Jack about the Kormin brothers from high school?)

You guys make me so happy. I've been smiling all day rereading your comments and messages. It makes me feel so good. Thanks for supporting this story. Do share, vote and comment if you like this book.

lots of love, hugs, kisses, 

Andy