Episode 49 - Meeting in the public library

I have some fabulous news for you today. Aethernea patron support has reached the 200$ milestone!

And the promised reward for that milestone, as well as any subsequent increase of 200$ is a bonus chapter. Therefore, today, you get to enjoy an extra chapter jumping out at you unexpectedly like a ninja.

Join me in giving a hero salute to every Aethernea patron that made this possible.

In the previous Episode:

Elaru uses platinum and a black marble to create a ring that will be turned into a magical artifact for Kiel. Kiel discovers that she had been spellcrafting the enchantment for the artifact for the past several days.

* * *

After the creation of the ring, Elaru chose not to enchant it. When Kiel inquired about her decision she smiled wryly and gave him a puzzling answer: "I might be incredible when it comes to creating and even mystifying spells, but I cannot create magic artifacts for other people's use."

A magic artifact is an object given long-lasting magical properties by a mage. Placing an enchantment on an object was one of the ways to create a magical artifact. The hardest part of this process is designing the enchantment spell. After that, the only thing an enchanter needed to do is cast it upon an object.

Since Elaru's weaving was quite good, enchanting artifacts shouldn't pose a problem for her. Perhaps her family forbade her from creating magic artifacts for outsiders?

Whatever the case, Elaru refused to comment on it. She led him to the central part of the city, telling him that she had some business there, and then she unceremoniously left him to wait for her.

Instead of feeling thrilled to get some peace and quiet, Kiel's mood slowly turned foul. He wasn't sure why, but her leaving him there just like that, irked him to no avail.

* * *

Warm red rays of sunset passed through the tall windows, illuminating rows upon rows of books. The soft rays flickered on Kiel's white skin, giving him a magical glow as if he was a god who descended among mortals.

Subjected to many fawning and curious gazes, he sat at a round table with a thick book in hand. While waiting for Elaru he had decided to visit a public library. Tomorrow's exam would include a written test. While Kiel was confident in his knowledge of magic theory, he wasn't conceited enough to come take the exam without any previous preparations.

Also, he chose a subject of "spell replication" as his special exam subject, but while he did have the skills required for it, he wasn't familiar with the subject at all. Which is why he intended to procure some books on spell replicating.

Kiel had just finished the book he was reading, picking up the next one – a booklet with the compilation of previous Muni questions, when suddenly a disdainful snort reached his ears.