Emma's Anniversary

Takes place during Season 3; Episode 9 ("Blood Lust")

Emma Grace remembered waking up with a horrible headache to complete silence. She hadn't wanted to open her eyes, but the smell of a burning chemical smell filled her nose, and she thought she smelt gasoline. Emma Grace let her eyes adjust and then slowly looked around her. Turning her neck hurt, but she started to panic when she realized everything was upside down! Emma tenderly moved her head from side to side, and let out a scream when she saw her younger sister Amy beside her with blood gushing from a head wound and a bone sticking out of her arm!

"Amy? Amy?!" Emma Grace called out. It was hard for her to speak because her throat hurt and the smell of gasoline was choking her. When Amy didn't respond, Emma Grace reached for her. Emma felt pain shoot from her arm, but she ignored it and continued reaching for her sister. Amy's skin felt cold, and she never moved when Emma tried to get her attention.

When Amy wouldn't respond, Emma called out to her mom. "Mama, Amy's hurt! Mama!" Emma's mom never answered. Emma Grace could see the back of her mom's head from the backseat, but her mom never moved.

Emma Grace was starting to panic until she heard a groan coming from the driver's seat of the car. She painfully moved her head and saw her dad slowly moving. "Daddy? Daddy?!"

"Emma? Emma, Sweetie, are you okay?" Emma's dad rasped out.

"Daddy, I'm fine, but Amy and Mama won't answer me!" Emma Grace said not hiding the panic from her voice.

"It's okay Emma. Jus-jus-just stay calm Sweetie," her dad answered, but he seemed to be having more trouble talking.

"Daddy, are you okay?" Emma asked when she realized her dad was having a hard time speaking.

"It's okay Emma, you just n-ne-need to st-sta-stay calm," her dad said, but the last part came out in a whisper.

"Daddy, I'm-I'm scared," Emma Grace's voice was shaking. Her eyesight started going fuzzy, and she felt lightheaded. Her dad didn't respond to her, but before Emma could say anything else, everything went black.

Emma Grace woke up from her nightmare, and she was covered in sweat. It took her a moment to realize she was at Jillian and Bill Stoke's house. Emma Grace pushed the back of her head deeper into her pillow and put her hands over her face. Gladiator whined and jumped up on the bed with her. He laid his head on her chest trying to comfort her. Emma Grace stroked Gladiator's head as she let the silent tears fall and released the quiet sobs.

"Emma, are you up Sweetheart?" Jillian asked lightly knocking on the bedroom door.

"Uh, ye-yeah Jillian. I'm, um, I'm up," Emma Grace said wiping the tears from her eyes and slowly controlling her breathing as she continued petting Gladiator.

"Honey, are you okay?" Jillian asked worriedly.

"I'm fine Jillian. I'll be down in just a minute," Emma Grace answered while sitting up on the bed.

"Okay, Honey," Jillian said sadly and then Emma Grace heard her walking down the stairs.

Emma Grace sighed and just sat on the bed. She knew she had to get control of her emotions before she went downstairs. She didn't want anyone worrying about her. 

About ten minutes after Jillian had knocked on the guest bedroom door, Emma made her way downstairs. She smiled as she walked down the stairs and saw most of the Stokes' Christmas decorations out. She loved this time of year but hated this day. Emma smelt the welcoming smell of coffee and cinnamon rolls coming from the kitchen.