Family Visit

AN: this takes place after season 2; episode 5 "Scuba Doobie-Doo."
"So, did the scuba-diver die because he was dumped out of the bucket onto the trees where the forest fires were?" Nick's niece Ashley could not hide the excitement and wonder in her voice.

After Nick and Sara had grabbed some breakfast after work, Nick came home to his house which was filled with his oldest sister, her husband, and their three children. Kevin, Nick's brother-in-law, had some work for his firm that had to be done in Las Vegas, and the family had decided to turn it into a vacation and a chance to visit Nick.

"I thought so, but there was no proof at autopsy that a fall killed him or anything about being dumped from a bucket." Nick couldn't keep the excitement out of his voice as he talked about his most recent case with his niece who loved forensic science.

"I can't decide if I should be concerned that my sixteen-year-old daughter is fascinated by murder, or proud because she might go into the family business." Sandra, Nick's oldest sister, teased as she walked into the room.

"Mama, I'm not fascinated by murder. I'm fascinated by the science that catches the murderers." Ashley rolled her eyes and sounded like she had tried to explain this to her mother many times.

"At least she's a science nerd and not a wannabe killer." Thirteen-year-old Andrew walked by the group gathered at the table only giving the two adults and his sister an afterthought.

"And Andrew thinks he will be a famous basketball player, but he's just a wannabe." Ashley stuck her tongue out at her little brother, and it was apparent the two were teasing each other.

"I can still beat you on the court any day Sis," Andrew said as a challenge.

"Well, we have enough people here. How about when Ashley and Uncle Nick are done talking about the case Uncle Nick solved we go play a game of basketball?" Kevin, Sandra's husband, said as he came into the room chuckling.

"Are we playing three on three or what?" Andrew asked with excitement.

"Mama can be the scorekeeper, and I can be the referee!" ten-year-old Anthony said excitedly.

"Sounds good to me," Sandra said.

"Okay, now that we have that figured out, how did the scuba-diver end up in the tree?" Ashley was adamant; she wanted answers.

"Okay, okay," Nick began as he chuckled, "the man's 'friend' killed him, put him in the scuba gear, took him out to where the fire was, and lit a cigarette with matches to cover up the murder. The scuba tank is filled with compressed air, and when there is too much heat, it blows up."

"So the scuba tank blew up, and the man ended up in the tree? Wow!" Ashley got up from the table like she was done talking about the case until she remembered something else. "Wait, how did you get the guy who murdered him?"

"Greg was able to get DNA off of the cigarette that was used as a torch, and when Catherine talked to the suspect, she noticed his table was missing. Doc Robbins, our coroner, found the same splinters on his skin that the table was made out of," Nick explained to his niece.

"How was Greg able to get DNA from the cigarette if it had been burned in the fire?"

"Hairspray preserves the evidence."

"Uncle Nicky, I have to write this in my journal so I can look back on it later! This is just amazing! Can you help me write down how and why hairspray can preserve evidence?" Ashley had a look on her face that most kids had on Christmas morning, she loved science.

"Of course I will, Sweetheart." Nick couldn't help smiling.

The six of them left the house and headed for the basketball courts. Ashley and Kevin were on one team, and Andrew and Kevin were on the other. They played three games, switching the tams up, and the team that had Andrew on it won every game!

Nick helped Ashley make notes in her journal about forensic science after dinner that night and played a game of chess with Anthony.

The next day Warrick and Greg stopped by the house. Ashley questioned them about everything she could think of that had to do with forensic science, and Andrew got them to play a few games of basketball with him. Nick, Sandra, and Kevin enjoyed random conversations with Warrick and Greg. Anthony beat them both in chess that night, even though Greg did give him a run for his money and their game lasted close to two hours.

After Warrick and Greg's visit, Cathrine and Lindsey visited Nick's house the next day. Even though Lindsey was much younger than Ashley and Andrew, they got along with her great. Lindsey was close to Andrew's age, and Andrew also took the time to start teaching Lindsey how to play chess; he usually did not have the patience to teach other people how to play the board game that he loved. Cathrine and Sandra became friends instantly and talked about raising kids.

On the fourth day that Nick's family was with him in Las Vegas, Nick had a dinner party similar to a potluck. Warrick brought his favorite food that his Grandma taught him to make. Greg brought some Scandinavian dish his family had passed down for years; it was pretty good. Cathrine and Lindsey had made a dessert, and Cathrine's mom had made another dessert; both were amazing. Sara brought takeout from her favorite restaurant saying that if she had tried to cook something all of them would end up with food poisoning. Grissom brought some chocolate covered bugs; Ashley, Andrew, and Anthony were the only brave ones to try said bugs. Doc Al Robinson and his wife brought some dishes food, Jim Brass brought some drinks, and Dave even brought something he cooked. It was one of the best nights Nick had ever had. Ashley got to learn more about forensic science, Andrew got to play a few games of basketball with other people, and Grissom was the one who finally beat Anthony at chess; Anthony took his defeat pretty well, and even let Grissom teach him some new techniques.

Nick had five days of forensic science, basketball, and chess with his niece and nephews before the family had to board a plane to go back home to Texas. It was the best five days in Nick's life; he loved when his family was around.