Play with Fire

(AN: takes place after season 3; episode 22 "Play with Fire.")

Nick was walking down the hall of the police station when one of the officers stopped him. "Stokes, there's a lady here looking for you."

Nick was confused, but he followed the officer toward the entrance of the police station. Nick found another surprise waiting for him.

"Gracie? What are you doing here?" Emma Grace had a look of relief on her face when she saw Nick. She ran to him and hugged him.

"I was so afraid something happened to you. Mom and Dad got the call that there had been an explosion at the crime lab, but that no one could tell us anything. I was about to head out here for work, so I told them I would come and check on you. No one could tell me if you were okay or not. Nicky, thank God you're okay." Emma Grace had spoken all of this into Nick's shoulder, seeing how she hadn't released Nick from her hug yet.

"It's okay Gracie. I'm fine. The explosion got Greg and Sara. There's a lot of damage, and a few more people suffered from some cuts. But, it's okay." Nick rubbed Emma Grace's back while he talked. It did comfort him and help him to release tension he didn't know he had been holding onto by just talking to Emma Grace.

"Where's Greg and Sara?" Emma Grace had let go of Nick to look at him. The concerned look was back on her face.

"Sara's around the crime lab somewhere. She needed stitches, but other than that she was okay. Greg's in the hospital. The blast hit him full force. He's in pain, but he's going to be okay."

"Can I go see Greg? Can I talk to Sara?"

"Let's go talk to Grissom. Then, we'll see what we can do."

Grissom was glad to see Emma Grace. He had noticed that the younger woman had a way of calming everyone, especially Nick, down whenever she was around. Grissom knew that seeing Emma Grace would help Nick and Greg.

Nick drove Emma Grace to the hospital. The two were awarded a smile from Greg when they walked through his hospital room door.

"Did you need a vacation because they were working you so hard Greg?" Emma Grace kept the smile on her face as she took a seat in the chair beside Greg's hospital bed.

"No. I was just trying to get you back out to Vegas." Greg's voice was strained, but he was trying not to worry his friends.

"How are you feeling Greggo?" Nick asked as he rested a hand on Emma Grace's shoulder.

"I've been better. Catherine and Warrick stopped by to question me. I'm just really tired right now."

"Well, Nick isn't going to ask you any questions. He wanted to check on you and needed to drop me off. If you're up for it, I thought I'd give you some company while you're stuck in here." Emma Grace gently ruffled Greg's hair in an affectionate big sister way.

"Okay," Greg mumbled as he closed his eyes. The pain meds were about to win the battle of sleep. 

Nick and Emma Grace talked in low voices for a few minutes. Nick kissed Emma Grace on the forehead before he left to head back to the crime lab to work on the case he had. Emma Grace had brought her laptop to do work while she stayed with Greg.

After all the excitement from the past few days, Emma Grace took Nick, Grissom, and Cathrine out to eat. Emma Grace had come to Vegas for Cathrine's ex-husband's funeral back in February. The two had become really good friends after spending Thanksgiving together in Texas. Grissom had decided Emma Grace was a person to be trusted since the day he found her in his office after Nick had been stalked a few years back. 

The four had a great time talking and catching up over some good food. Cathrine had really needed the dinner out to relax after she had found out she had been responsible for the lab blowing up and got suspended. Nick enjoyed spending as much time as he could with Emma Grace.

Emma Grace and Nick spent a lot of time in Greg's hospital room, keeping him company. Emma Grace regretted that she had not gotten the chance to meet Sara nor Warrick, but she knew she eventually would.

Emma Grace had talked to the company she worked with in Las Vegas about the offer to move to Las Vegas that was still on the table. Emma Grace still hadn't made up her mind. Nor had she told Nick about the offer.

"I'll see you in a few days for Ashley's graduation party." Nick didn't like having to take Emma Grace to the airport just four days after she had come to Vegas.

"Good. Ashley's extremely excited about this party and graduating. I'm glad you get to come home more this summer instead of just two weeks this summer."

"Me too." 

Impolsuvly Emma Grace leaned up on her tiptoes and kissed Nick on the cheek, close to his lips. "See you soon, Nicky." With that, she boarded her plane and headed for home. 

Nick smiled as he drove away from the airport. It was sometimes confusing, most the time annoying, but Nick and Emma Grace had always seemed to play with fire when it came to admitting their feelings to each other.