The Calm and the Storm

(AN: Takes place during and after season 7; episode 4 "Fannysmackin'.")

As September came to an end and October began the Stokes family, along with the Las Vegas crime lab team had been blessed with a few weeks of quiet following the murder of Sam Braun. Catherine, Lindsey, and Lily spent a lot of time over at the Stokes' home. Catherine and Lily had tons of parenting advice that Emma Grace and Nick were happy to learn from.

"The two of you are already doing a good job, though. You have nothing to worry about," Lily said gesturing to one-and-a-half-year-old Maggie Hope in Emma's arms and four-month-old Amelia in Nick's arms.

Grissom and Sara came over one weekend and took Marie, Kaitlin, and Lindsey to an amusement park. Andrew, Ashley, and Jake met the group at the park to have some fun for the day. 

"I want to ride that rollercoaster first," eight-year-old Marie informed the group while pointing to the biggest rollercoaster in the park.

"I'm down for that. Let's go!" Jake encouraged the little girl that he viewed as his niece.

"There's tons of rollercoasters here. I think we should pace ourselves Y'all." Ashley was attempting to be the voice of reason without admitting she was scared.

Grissom was happy to finally have other people to ride rollercoasters with.

The team also had a surprise party at the Stokes' house for Warrick's birthday. Tina had shown up for Warrick because the two of them were trying to work things out. Later that night when all the cake was gone, and most of the team had left, Warrick told Nick and Emma Grace that it had been the best birthday he had ever experienced while he hugged them goodbye.

"Thanks for doing this for me. I'm glad I found a family." Warrick hugged Emma Grace and kissed her on the cheek.

"You know you're more than my friend, Warrick. You're my brother," Nick said hugging his best friend.

Tina gave Nick a quick hug, then hugged Emma Grace. Tina moved back to Warrick's side, putting her arm through his. Warrick affectionately held Tina's hand.

"We wanted to wait until everyone else was gone to tell you. Warrick and I have an appointment with that marriage counselor Emma suggested for next week," Tina informed the group. Another round of hugs followed before Warrick and Tina left the Stokes' house.

Two days later the quiet everyone was enjoying came crashing down when Greg was brutally beaten by a gang while saving a man. 

Ashley had been the one to call Emma Grace, telling her that Greg was in the hospital. Ashley and Jake had both been working in the lab for their college internships when the news of what happened made its way through the crime lab.

"Emma, you may want to call Nick when you get the chance." Emma Grace had been off the phone with Ashley for a few minutes when Warrick had called her.

"What happened?" Emma Grace didn't know if she could handle Nick being in the hospital too.

"Do you know about Greg?" Warrick asked. He didn't want to be the one to have to tell her what happened to their friend.

"Yeah. Ashley called me. Warrick, is Nick okay?" Emma Grace could not hide the panic from her voice.

Warrick let out a sigh. "He's just worked up Emma. He punched a civilian while we were processing the scene where Greg was attacked."

Emma closed her eyes while releasing a sigh. "Where's he at?"

"I told him to go calm down. He walked off." Warrick knew that Nick was taking what happened to Greg hard. He also knew that Emma Grace was the one that would help Nick the most.