Summer 2002

(AN: takes place after the end of season 2. I know this is kind of a short chapter, but I felt it needed to be written before I continued with the story).

"Hey, Nicky." Emma Grace stood beside the car door with a grin on her face as Nick stared in shock at her.

Nick had flown home for a week to spend some time with his family while his nieces and nephews had summer vacation from school. Nick knew that Chris was picking him up, but he had not been expecting to see Emma Grace leaning against the car door, waiting for him and Chris to come from the baggage claim area.

"Gracie?" Nick wasn't sure how to approach her. He and Emma had been talking on the phone almost every night after they had spent Christmas together, but they hadn't really talked about if their relationship was going back to the way it used to be, or if they were still on rocky ground.

Emma Grace heard the doubt in Nick's voice. She gave him a smile as she said, "Nicky, I wanted to be here to pick up my best friend."

Nick let himself relax at Emma Grace's words. He put his suitcase down on the sidewalk and walked over to Emma Grace. She sank into his arms.

"I've missed you, Gracie." Nick placed a kiss on Emma Grace's forehead as he whispered those words.

"Same here, Nicky; same here." Emma Grace gave Nick a small squeeze and stepped away with a content smile on her face.

Nick, Emma Grace, and Chris loaded up the car and headed for the Stokes' home. The car ride was filled with laughter and conversations about the past few weeks' work experiences.

The rest of the day resulted in Nick hearing everything going on in every one of his nieces and nephews lives. Emma Grace had been sitting on the couch with Nick and the children, and could not help but laugh at some of the things the children had to tell Nick. Emma Grace's laugh was beautiful, soft music to Nick's ears.

The next two days were filled with Nick catching up with his siblings, his brothers-in-law, and his parents. Everyone in the Stokes family lived busy lives. The family played baseball and football during the day and went horseback riding. Nick met Maya, she was a friend of Emma Grace's, and Chris, Nick's brother, was interested in her.

Megan, Emma Grace's best friend, made frequent stops to the house. Megan was dating a guy named David, and David wanted to set his friend Matthew up with Emma Grace; Nick did not like that idea at all.

"How do you like living in Vegas?" Matthew was over at the Stokes house with Emma Grace. Nick's mom had already pulled him aside and told him to be on his best behavior.

"There's always something to do. Seems to not be a boring moment in that city."

"Nicky always has some of the most interesting stories to share." Emma Grace smiled at Nick, the effort it was taking him to be nice did not escape Emma Grace's notice.

"We need to go if we're going to make those reservations." Megan was standing by the door that David was holding open for her.

"Okay." Emma Grace smiled at Nick and let Matthew lead her toward the door. Nick didn't like the double date the girls' were going on at all.

Nick was watching TV by himself when Emma Grace came home from her date. The rest of the Stokes family had gone to bed at different hours throughout the night. Nick noticed that Emma Grace had come home alone. Nick nodded to Emma Grace as she went up the stairs to the bedroom she and Maya were sharing.

Ten minutes later Emma Grace appeared back in the living room dressed in pajamas. Emma Grace curled up on the couch beside Nick. The two sat in silence for about twenty minutes before Nick decided to ask a question; "do you like him?"

Emma Grace looked at Nick and gave a small smirk when she saw that he wasn't going to look at her. "I do."

"You going back out with him?"

"We have a date planned for two weeks from now."

"Is it a double date with Megan and her guy?"

"No. It'll be just Matthew and me."

Nick just grunted and acted as if the show on the TV had his full attention. Emma Grace studied Nick as she pet Gladiator, who had jumped up on the couch with her. Emma Grace decided to confront Nick.

"Nick, we're both adults. I think our past has proved that we're meant to be nothing other than friends. I don't want to share details about my date with you, but I don't want this tension either. I love you, and you're my best friend. Let's just focus on healing our friendship. Deal?"

Nick made eye contact with Emma Grace. He gave her a faint smile. "Deal." Emma Grace smiled and snuggled into Nick's side.

Bill Stokes walked down the next morning to see a sight that he hadn't seen for about five years. Nick and Emma Grace were cuddling on the couch, both asleep. Nick had his arms around Emma Grace in a protective way, and in her sleep, Emma Grace was trusting Nick to keep her safe. Gladiator was laying on the floor against the front of the couch asleep, just as the couple was. Bill Stokes had missed seeing the view of his youngest son content while holding the girl Bill was pretty sure Nick loved.

Bill walked over, and after petting Gladiator on the head covered the couple up with the blanket on the back of the couch.

By the time Nick Stokes left Texas after his two-week vacation, his and Emma Grace's friendship was back to the way it use to be. Along with the friendship came the uncharted feelings of attraction that had been there for both Nick and Emma Grace since they were teenagers. Both were determined not to give into those feelings, even after all these years of knowing each other.