Chapter 35

Brown doe eyes flickered between Scott who was shifting nervously in the spot where he stood and to Derek who opened the gym bag full of money. Mia repressed a sigh watching her little brother shift uncomfortably, he had shown up a few minutes ago saying he needed to speak to Derek. It surprised the couple to see the money and the fact that Scott kept it for so long but, more over the fact that he looked like he was waiting to get scolded.

Derek sighed and pushed the bag away. "Okay."

"Don't you wanna know why it took so long to return it?" Scott asked. He was surprised that Derek wasn't angry or that Mia wasn't giving him a look of disappointment. He came to Derek's loft to return the money after his mother found it last night and they had a talk. He was shocked that his sister found out about their money problems and felt grateful that she was helping their mom pay the bills. It felt like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. But, that didn't stop the guilt he felt when he realized he had in fact kept the money for far too long.

Derek eyes flickered over to his fiance before looking over at Scott. "How much do you make at the Animal Clinic?"

"Minimum wage."

"That's why. Everyone can be tempted, Scott. Even a True Alpha."

Scott's brows furrowed. "You're not angry?"

"It's not even mine. It belongs to Peter." Derek said.

"Where's your money?" The True alpha asked curiously.

Derek pointed to the loft. "You're standing on it."

Scott's eyes widened before he looked at the ground and gaped

Scott's eyes widened before he looked at the ground and gaped. "There's another vault?"

The couple laughed in amusement. Mia shook her head. "No. He owns the building."

"And I have my own bank accounts." Derek added. "All the money from the vault was Peter's." He sighed as he glanced at the money. "I think we'd actually be better off if the rest never came back." He zipped up the gym bag and stood up.

" He zipped up the gym bag and stood up

"I know Lydia was here last night." Scott said after a moment of silence. He saw how his sister's eyes dimmed a bit at his statement and he felt bad. He also saw how Derek's eyes were focused on his sister. "Deaton's still working on figuring out what Kate did to you. If anyone can find an answer, it's him." He said reassuringly. He knew how important Derek was to Mia and to himself as well. Not that he would ever admit it but, he was glad that Mia was with someone like Derek. He looked up to the older man especially since he helped him through a lot.