Chapter 2 - "The last album failed."

Five days later, Amelia found herself staring at the wooden door to Sebastian Colfax's penthouse apartment. Taking a deep breath, she knocked and waited. The door opened to reveal Chuck.

"Ms. Dawson, I'm so glad you could make it. Please come in," he said, stepping back.

"Thanks, I'm happy to be here," Amelia said.

She stepped into a spacious penthouse apartment. A wide kitchen stretched out on her left. A living room lay just beyond with a wall of glass that displayed Central Park.

"If you'll just follow me," Chuck said.

He guided her past the kitchen and living room to a hallway. Laughter and chattering voices greeted them as they entered a room crowded with people. Beyond the array of couches and arms chairs, the room held a piano, a wall covered in guitars and a drum set.

Amelia was overwhelmed by the large group of people. She moved to an open spot and sat. The girl next to her, with a blonde pixie cut wearing large oval framed glasses, turned to her.

"Hi, I'm Jules Edwards," she said, offering her hand.

"Amelia Dawson."

"So Amelia, how did you come to be part of this particular meeting?" Jules asked.

Amelia forced herself to swallow, her mouth suddenly feeling dry.

"I played the drums for Sebastian's final concert last Saturday. After hearing my solo interlude, he invited me here."

"You play the drums?"

Amelia nodded. Jules eyes stared at Amelia, as if trying to put together two unrelated pictures.

"How did you come to work with Sebastian?" Amelia asked.

She didn't want to go into the details of how she started playing the drums, which was always everyone's first question.

"It's kind of an interesting story," Jules said. "I actual went to high school with Bash. We had an English class together senior year and I presented a song. It must have made an impact on him because two years later I get a call asking if I want to help write his second album."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I've been helping him ever since. But Dodger over here is the real veteran," Jules said.

She pointed to a guy sitting across the way from them.

"He helped Sebastian on his first album. Dodge!" Jules called out.

A dark skinned guy with classic features looked over at them. Jules waved to him.

"Dodger Gentry, this is Amelia Dawson, the drummer that played for Sebastian last Saturday," Jules said.

Dodger's neutral expression shifted to curiosity as he looked over at Amelia.

"It nice to meet you," he said, his voice husky.

"Same here," Amelia said.

"Dodge, I was just telling Amelia here how you're the veteran of the group," Jules said.

Dodger nodded in agreement, but didn't expand on the subject, so Jules kept talking.

"Dodger's been working with artists since he was sixteen. His parents are in the music industry as well," Jules explained.

Jules fell silent when Chuck stood up and the room quieted.

"Sebastian just texted he is on his way," Chuck announced. "He shouldn't be too late. Once he is here, we'll get the meeting started."