Chapter 5 - "I'm a cat lady!"

Amelia sipped a cup of tea, watching the two hunched over figures on the couch. She had arrived to her second day of working with Sebastian to find he had purchased a kettle, tea pot and tea, after she had asked him the previous day if he owned those items.

The sky outside was grim and stormy. Sheets of rain splashed against the window, leaving tear drops on the glass. Amelia watched as a gust of wind pushed the rain fiercely across the city. Down in the park leaves were battered and dislodged from the trees. She smiled to herself. It was definitely a perfect night for Halloween.

"Alright," Dodger said, a note of finality on his voice.

"Dodge, this line here..." Sebastian started to say.

"I'm going to say no."

"You don't even know what line I'm talking about."

"I don't care. This is where I kick you out to work with Amelia."

Amelia felt like laughing, knowing Dodger could boss Sebastian around because they had worked together for so long.

"We'll look over it again once you've had space," Dodger said, evenly.

"Fine," Sebastian agreed.

He stood, his focus locking onto Amelia. She nodded. They moved into the music room.

"We're starting a new song today. Its slower," Sebastian said, picking up his guitar.

To Amelia's utter relief, they had finally finished their first song the previous day.

Sebastian's long fingers curved to the right cords, as his other hand started to pluck out an even pattern on the strings. As Amelia listened, her gaze fell to the grand piano, an idea sparking in her brain. Sebastian finished and looked at her.

"It's good," Amelia said.

"I know."

"So...I was thinking..."

Amelia hesitated.

"Just say it," Sebastian said, his voice wasn't harsh, but firm.

"Right. I don't think this song needs drums. Not in the normal way." She waved her hands distractedly. "But I'll explain that idea later. What I'm thinking is easier to just play."

She stood up hurriedly and moved over to the piano.

"What chords were you playing?" she asked, looking up.

"G, C, E minor, and D," Sebastian said.

Amelia started off playing each cord softly. She then shifted, playing a rocking rhythm with her right hand, as her left hand played quickly through the cord. The notes blended and harmonized with each other. She glanced at Sebastian's face to gauge his reaction. His look was unreadable.

"That might not be it, but it's along the lines I was thinking," Amelia said.

"It's a good place to start. You mentioned something about not using the drums in a normal way."

"Right!"

At the drums, Amelia moved her drum sticks up to the edge of one of the drums, drumming on the metal. The pattern echoed the rocking rhythm she had played on the piano.

"This way, you get the feel of the beat without the intensity of the full drum set," Amelia explained.

"Okay. Let's go back to the piano and work through that first," Sebastian said.

**************

Sebastian was listening, focus planted on the floor, a couple hours later when Amelia came to an abrupt stop; a figure appearing in the door way. The figure was a tall, thin girl with rich honey blonde hair, sharp features and green eyes. She was dressed in a nurse's uniform, but not one that any normal nurse would be caught dead in. Sebastian looked to the door.