Chapter 36 - "Smooth. I give it a ten out of ten for tact."

The doorman nodded as Sebastian and Amelia passed through the sliding doors, the next morning. Purring gently outside on the drive was a convertible silver sports car. Sebastian stepped up to it, pulling open the passenger door for Amelia.

"Your cars travel with you?" Amelia asked.

"My cars don't travel with me, this is our's for the day though. What's the point of taking a drive up the coast if you're not in a convertible?" Sebastian mused.

Pulling on his sunglasses, Sebastian smiled at her, then put the car in gear and pulled out into the traffic of the city.

When the sports car broke free of the city's clutches, it happily took to the new freedom with greater speed and a louder roar of delight. Wind whipped over the top of the windshield. The ocean spread out to their left, the morning sun turning the undulating waves a white gold in its light.

On the pretense of staring at the water, Amelia looked to Sebastian's side. The wind made his hair mimic the ocean, ripples of waves passing though it. He could be just a normal guy in his faded blue t-shirt and red cotton shorts. His glance darted to her and Amelia stiffened, wondering how long she had been staring at him.

"What are you thinking over there Aims? Or has the sight stolen away your thoughts?" Sebastian asked, the corners of his mouth inching upwards.

"I was admiring the ocean," Amelia said, evenly.

"I never said you weren't."

Amelia's cheeks flushed and Sebastian's laugh burst from his lips.

"You think you're so good looking, don't you?" she asked.

"No, not all the time. But when you stare at me for over fifteen minutes, a man starts to wonder," Sebastian teased.

"I was not staring at you, the ocean just happens to be on your side."

"Agreed. But we also passed through a brief town in that time where the view of the ocean was slightly obstructed and you still kept looking."

"I'm not admitting anything."

"Don't worry Aims, you're secrets safe with me."

He glanced over at her. Shaking her head, she laughed, his smile taunting and playful.

"What did Jones think of you going off by yourself today?"

"Jones is behind us, in the black SUV. Being away from LA, I'm less likely to be spotted but I'm not stupid to think that if I was it would go well. I've had enough instances to teach me to think better."

Amelia glanced back, spotting the black car and Sebastian's bodyguard behind the wheel.

"That's good at least," Amelia said, turning back. "When it comes to defending you from crazed fans, I'm next to useless. I could whack away at them with my drum sticks, but really how long would that last against rabid girls."

"Good to know. I appreciate you sacrificing your drum sticks for me. Not many would."

"I figure I can always buy new drum sticks. It's harder to come by another one of you. Besides, I kind of like you. Who knows what the next version would be like?"

"Very true. He might be good looking, then where would I be?" Sebastian said, his tone one of mocking seriousness.

"Surrounded by too many girls who are trying to steal my man."

"Ah, so thats why you chose me. I lack good looks and so its easier to keep me around."

"I hate to admit it, but yes. I'm sorry, the truth hurts."