Chapter 39 - "I can't! You don't understand. I can't do this!"

The day of the Showcase footsteps pounded down the hallway, the hurried treads dulling to low thrumming in Amelia's ears. Students rushed back n forth, their eager tones and worried expressions barely making an impact on her. She rested in the small bit of peace she had found in the mayhem of the day, for once ignored by busy seniors. There was a quiet thudding noise as someone sat in the chair beside her.

"What do you want Reynolds?" Amelia asked, eyes closed.

"How did you know it was me?"

"I believe people on Long Island could smell your cologne. What do you want?"

"I have something for you?"

"Seriously?" she asked, looking at him.

He handed her a narrow box with a simple blue bow wrapped around it.

"It's not from me. Someone huge guy found me and asked if I knew you. I said yes and he asked if would deliver this to you."

"And you just agreed to do it out of the kindness of your heart?"

"No, but he wasn't the sort of man you ignore or talk back to. So I guess yes, I did it out of the kindness of my heart."

Amelia slide the bow off and lifted the lid.  Inside was a small square folded note and a set of dark wooden drumsticks inscribed with Amelia Dawson on one and Aims on the other. She picked up the note.

"Aims, you once told me that no drummer should be without their own personalized drumsticks. Since during that same time you told me your's were faded I knew what to get you. These were also just an excuse for me to wish you a pointless good luck, I've seen you play and know luck has nothing to do with it. Good luck anyways, Bash."

"Those are nice, who sent them?" Reynolds asked, peering into the box.

A quiet smile settled on her lips, but she didn't respond. Reynolds opened his mouth to repeat his question when a shadow fell over him.

"Hey troublemaker."

"Will!" Amelia said, standing and hugging him.

All her tiredness seemed to disappear at the sight of him. Her brain pushed away the week's troubles in order to find the energy needed to be happy in seeing him.

"I can't believe you came back here to see..." She trailed off. "You saw Poppy first didn't you? Then you came to find me?"

"I didn't really plan on seeing you until after the show. I just happened to walk down this way."

Amelia smacked him on the arm, which he shrunk away from laughing.

"William Albert Ashford, you are terrible," Amelia said, hitting him repeatedly.

Will managed to grab her hands and pin them to her side.

"Calm down my dear Amy, at least I stopped. I could have kept walking," he joked.

Arms completely useless, she glared at him, but his happy smile defused the look.

"Whatever, you came here for her. At least you did stop to say hi. You are completely rubbish though."

"True, but I'm good looking and rich so people usually forgive me for my glaring faults," Will said, he cringed as she broke free and hit him again.

"Which neither of those effect me so you're not forgiven."   

"Forgive me dear Amy, on the fact that we have known each other for a really long time."       

"Fine you are forgiven, though why I put up with you is beyond me."