Chapter 14/Part 2 - The Grand Duchess

As they made their preparations for departure, Franz could not help feeling terribly excited. With his father's addition to the plan, it was possible he might get the royal wedding he always wanted. With the fiend as Grand Duchess and himself as Archduke, adored by all their subjects, it would really be a goblin-story come true.

Although, as Franz secured a suitcase to the roof of his Hereth-bound carriage, his dream started to unravel. There was still the problem of Ordena and her Amphoerix, and surely Saloonka would want to reveal his identity as the evil spawn of Kyos at some point. That would cause a total uproar and folk might even demand the return of wedding gifts.

"Is something the matter?" Nibbs asked. "You'd rather be riding in Anastasia's contraption, I know."

His father helped load on another case. There were many more than he had arrived with, filled to bursting with outfits Saloonka had given him.

"No, I'm quite fine with this one," Franz replied.

The other carriage was a newfangled horseless carriage. It had some kind a Duskerro-powered device in the front of it that was meant to turn the wheels in the place of a horse, but how such a thing could work was a mystery. And as if he did not already have enough reservations about the contraption, it was Alphonse who had built it.

The sock-dragon came waddling out of Vrye's manor, absurdly disguised with the help of a stack of rats, a long coat, knitted beard and Feidai's patchy hat. He turned a crank at the front end of the carriage, which caused a startling series of explosive bangs and pops, followed by a consistent rumble from its extended snout.

 He turned a crank at the front end of the carriage, which caused a startling series of explosive bangs and pops, followed by a consistent rumble from its extended snout

"If anyone doubts she's a relative of Alphonse, have them look at that thing," said Nibbs, beaming with admiration.

Vrye was the next to come the manor, carrying half a dozen bags with great difficulty. He was about to leave the luggage a safe distance from the carriage, having voiced the same concerns as Franz, but pushed on when Nibbs offered to help. After hastily depositing the bags in the special luggage compartment at the back of the contraption, Vrye moved a safe distance away from it.

His eyes locked on Franz' father and his lip curled with great distaste when Nibbs' eyes became fixed on Saloonka. His gaze was stuck to the fiend like a leach from house to carriage. Feidai joined soon after, with no acknowledgement at all from Nibbs. Not once had he questioned how the strange, bearded creature could be Anastasia's grandmother as he so claimed, nor had he batted an eye at Feidai's peculiarities.

With passengers loaded, Alphonse climbed into the front of the horseless carriage and gripped a strangely placed wheel with whatever was hiding up his droopy sleeves.

"Come along now, Franz," Vrye called as he took is place in the driver's seat of the traditional carriage.

Rather than the ogres that had pulled their caravans on the way to Ysenich, this time they were being pulled by one of Ysenich's magnificent vuldstags. It was fine deer with stunning antlers covered in luminous fungus. Sherri trotted alongside it, pulling them at a much faster pace than an ogre could manage.

"What's this Franz business about?" Nibbs asked once they were underway.

"Anastasia gave me that name," Franz replied, gazing out the window.

The other carriage was indeed working, rolling along merrily and spluttering as it went. The sound was as reassuring as the fuzzy feel of the socks on his feet. While utterly unpleasant, at least it meant that they were still there.

"I am glad you have grown so close to her. We should get you fitted for a uniform when we arrive in the capital. That should impress her a good deal more than that nonsense," Nibbs said, gesturing to Franz' outfit.

"No," Franz replied with pursed lips, not at all appreciating his father's fashion tips. "Anastasia made them for me, so it would be better if I keep wearing this."

His father was left stunned and sunk back into the seat. A few times he seemed like he was going to speak up, but never managed to find the words he was looking for. It was not until they were passing Lake Alphernus that he finally broke the silence.

"Just how close have you been with her?" he asked.

Franz gave him a look, not only because he did not wish to answer, but also because he did not know how to. He could mention the shared bed and many baths they had together, but before he could come up with anything, his blush had already spoken for him.

He turned back to the window without a word. Alphonse's carriage was still puttering along to the tune of gurgles and splurts while its passengers played a card game inside without a care in the world.

"Intimately?" Nibbs interrupted Franz' peace again.

"No," he replied, feeling his face turn cabbage-red at the suggestion.

"Good, good," his father muttered distractedly. "You should wait, but you can't allow Zaech to take her from you. You know he will try."

"What happened to your leg and uniform?" Franz asked sharply to put an end to the probing.

"Never you mind," his father replied, his eyes downcast. "I am only thinking of what's best for you with Anastasia. I want you to have a secure position in the event I lose a battle someday."

"Kabech would never cast me out, if that's what is troubling you."

"It's not Kabech I'm worried about. He's an old fellow now without anyone in place to succeed him. If you cannot secure your position, the nobles will try to get rid of you as soon as I am gone."

Franz felt his father's hand on his shoulder and reluctantly faced him. His eyes had started to water, and he choked a little before he could speak.

"I don't want you to die," he muttered and tried to hold his emotions at bay, but it was no use.

The implications of the revolution struck him with a clod of snot and ugly sobbing. His magical wedding would be nothing without his father there to see it.