Chapter 16/Part 2 - Helping Hands

The peasants would provide a perfect distraction for Saloonka while Franz made arrangements for the coronation. It may be a little selfish, but all he wanted was one, last, dignified, party before everything was turned on its head. Such a party without esteemed guests would not do at all though, so he made his way up to his father's office in the cap of the second bloomerbell to find out if he knew where the Ladies were.

As he approached the door, Franz could hear his father speaking with the Amphelian general, Eraz. He held back to listen in, careful not to get caught dropping eves.

"Is Ordena likely to be at the tournament?" his father asked over the sound of a quill scratching on parchment.

"Not likely. Goddess wants meeting with Drakuur killer," Eraz answered. Despite speaking quietly, the general's deep voice was easy to hear through the tangled wallstalks.

"Then it would be better to discuss this business in Thereth. Lord Kabech would prefer to keep you on side, but we're really in no position to come between the Amphoerix and your Goddess." Nibbs replied with a chill in his tone.

"Lord and Hand do not care about Drakuur?"

"What happens beyond the Marsh is none of our concern."

"Is not good to think this," Eraz said with a heavy sigh. Franz was amazed by his attitude. He had always assumed the bird was nothing more than a brute like Skarra.

When the general emerged and caught him with his ear to the wall, Franz lowered his head apologetically. He needed a moment to steady his nerves, then followed Eraz down the hall. Although the general glanced back several times, he never seemed inclined to stop Franz, only speaking up when he turned into his temporary office inside a small shelf.

"What is boy's wants?" Eraz asked gruffly.

"I am here on Anastasia's business. She will stand with you against Ordena if the Amphoerix stand by the Duchess," Franz told him while keeping his voice as low as he could. Standing against a Goddess was a terrifying notion, but he knew they would have to eventually.

"Small boy cares about Drakuur?" Eraz asked.

He collected a book and lantern-cap from his workwort desk and hopped onto a wooden perch. His silver-grey wings curled around his body, rather amusingly giving him the appearance of a rotten turnip.

"Anastasia does. We need to start thinking beyond the mountains and Marsh," Franz said, though he wished he knew more of the Amphelian conflict and how that might play to their advantage.

"Boy will be better general than Hand," he replied with a grimace. The charcoal-black of his skin made his gritted teeth seem as bright as potato blossoms. "Is not only problem of other places. Drakuur Killer will find ways across Marsh."

"Tyrunvern needs the Grand Duchess to stay and unite us against that threat, so she can't marry any Amphoerix," Franz ventured sternly but carefully.

"Eraz cannot promise this. If Duchess loves Amphoerix is own choice, but if Duchess loves Boy, Eraz will keep war away." Eraz parted his wings and lowered a hand almost twice the size of Franz' down to him. "Boy must also agree not to war if Duchess chooses Amphoerix."

"It would only be fair, I suppose." Though it pained him to even consider the possibility, Franz gripped the general's hand as firmly as he could then gave the hand a shake.

Eraz' support would be a great asset in undermining Amphelian interference and Saloonka would no longer need to fraternise with Zaech. That, however, was a matter for another time. Franz' heart was still set on hosting one final party, and he did not want it spoiled by politics.