Chapter 17/Part 3 - Call to Arms

Franz touched his mechanical quill to some parchment, thought for a moment about what he was going to write, then lifted it away again without making a single mark. He did not understand what had come over him. Not a single idea that crossed his mind roused any passion in him.

Even the catering left him confused. Did he dare ask for Vrye's foreign food, or did he risk Feidai forming an army on the buffet table? Party planning used to come so naturally to him, but now his mind was as blank as his page.

The truth was, every thought he had was marred by the consideration of how Saloonka could turn it to his revolting advantage, and that was exciting him more than it should have been. But he could not allow such things at his party.

After fruitless hours were wasted on this pursuit, it almost came as a relief when Britney leapt out of his pocket and began making peculiar dingle noises. She did not seem so happy about it, especially not after Saloonka's voice erupted from her mouth.

"Franz, we have more guests for the revolution!" he said, with what sounded like the whoops and cheers that came with celebrations.

At first, Franz was too shocked by Britney's sudden outburst to move, but as soon as the subject matter sunk in he leapt over his desk to shut, and lock, his office door.

"I have no idea what you have done to poor Britney, but would you mind giving me some warning before shouting like that while I am in the middle of the enemy's palace."

Franz could not believe he had called his home the enemy's palace. He pinched the bridge of his nose, took a breath to compose himself, then carried Britney to the far end of his office pod. When Saloonka had mentioned using the rats for communication, he had not expected this.

"But Franz, we have Goblins and peasants now."

"...Goblins? Where did you get those from?"

"They fell through the ceiling, and I got their mother's approval to be their Overlord."

"How many?" Franz asked, more surprised by his new-found calm than the goblins' sudden arrival.

He coaxed Britney up onto his shoulder and returned to his desk to scribble the new details down.

"A horde," Saloonka replied.

He hummed and nodded, then made an estimate of about two dozen tables, considered scribbling it out again, but ultimately decided to invite them. "And Peasants?"

"A reasonable amount."

"That will put a lot of strain on catering."

"Goldilocks has plenty of vegetables."

"YE CANNAE 'AVE ME POTATOES." Feidai's snarl rung in his ear long after it had blasted out of Britney.

"Can you speak with Portia and my mother, like you have with me, and ask them if the farmers and Wyverkiiri can provide anything?" he asked, tapping his quill on his parchment.

Franz frowned at the banquet numbers in front of him. If everyone in Saloonka's army was to attend, he would need a better knowledge of Thereth to find a suitable space, but the only maps for the barracks were securely locked away in his father's office.

"Can you spare Feidai... err... Goldilocks between lunch and dinner? There's something she needs to steal for us."

"You can borrow her, but I will need to use Johnny to call the others before she can visit you."

"Who?"
"Her rat. When and where should I tell everyone to assemble for the revolution?"

"After the twelfth dinner, we'll start the procession from outside the palace," Franz replied.