Chapter 18/Part 3 - Faecal Matters

Skarra was sitting all alone on one of the palace's highest caps when Zaech found him.

"Forgive me, Prince. I was so pleased to see one of the Drakuur that I neglected my duties," the lunk of feathers cooed. "Which brother will you ask to take my place? I would recommend Avas or Ieli."

"None of them could wear your feathers," Zaech said and gave him a light pat on the back. "I shouldn't have been so harsh on you. It's about time you found someone to share your affection."

"I doubt she will ever share them, but it is enough to know that she exists."

"If you ever want advice in wooing her, I'd be glad to help. You deserve to be happy."

Silence fell over them, but for the first time, Zaech did not feel the need to fill it. His heart was as heavy as a sack of grain with what he had to do for Saloonka. While he would go further without hesitation, he hated that he had to leave. It could be for a long time, and he did not know how long he could bear the distance between them.

"You must be disappointed about Anastasia," Skarra said, curling a wing around Zaech.

"I may have mistaken Saloonka's identity, but I was not wrong about the purity and goodness in him. Besides, the Queen never held a grudge against Ordena for what she did, so I think she would want me to forgive Saloonka for her death." He held a smile for a moment, but he could not keep it. "There's something I must do, but you, your brothers and Eraz must stay here and protect him."

"If you are leaving, I should follow," Skarra insisted.

Zaech put a firm hand on his shoulder and shook his head. "I wouldn't trust anyone else to ensure Saloonka's victory. Please stay."

"Are you returning to Amphelius?"

"I must get my mother to leave Tyrunvern." He nodded and gazed up at the sky.

Its darkness had always been as comforting as a blanket. He must have been the only bird to prefer Tyrunvern's covered sky to the wide, blue expanse that lay beyond it. The world just seemed so lonely without clouds.

"How will you do that?" Skarra's words brought his attention back down.

"I will agree to her marriage to the frost troll," he started with a long sigh, "but do not fret. I have no intention of following through."

"Your mother won't take that well. Are you certain you don't want me to go with you?"

"I will be fine. I need to give Saloonka the chance to succeed, then we will deal with my mother later." Despite Zaech's reassurances, Skarra's brow was still creased with concern. "I may not know much about the Drakuur, but I think fighting alongside Goldilocks might be a good start to something."

"You do want me to court her?" Skarra said and looked away.

"I want you to be happy, and I've noticed the way you look around her. You've got a hideous smile, but that's probably an advantage with them as well," Zaech slapped him on the shoulder, then stood up. "I have to go. Stay here and serve Saloonka until I come back."