Chapter 7

Ladybug

I shot to my feet.

What was that?

Everyone had suddenly stopped moving as well.

Suddenly, the classroom flung open with another loud bang and the teacher appeared in the doorway, flustered and messy-haired. "Everyone! Students! Head home directly right this instance! An akuma attack has broken out! You know the procedure! I repeat: head straight back home for your own safety!" She ordered, shooting the instructions at us before dashing out the door herself.

"You know we could sue you for the under-protection of students in your care right?" Max yelled back after her, getting no reply but silence. Pinching the bridge of his nose once before nudging his glasses further up his nose, he shoved the stationary splayed out on the table into his bag messily.

The others began following his example, and soon, were all ready to flee the classroom.

All, except Adrien.

He had ushered Nino out, telling his friend that he was coming straight behind him afterwards, then packed his own things away before turning around and glaring at me. 

Wait. Why was he glaring at me?

"You should leave. I'll check the class is secure. You heard the teacher, we have to get out of here as soon as possible for our own safety." He said, his tone even and the slightest hint of an order behind his words.

My mind kind of just stilled for a moment.

"Well?"

And for a millisecond, I swore I saw his irises flash to a different colour, his hands clenching and jaw hard. But then it faded away just as quickly, as if it had never happened. I shook my head, and blinked my eyes. It was just my imagination, I told myself, then managed to stumble out a quick reply to him, fumbling for my own things and stuffing them into my bag at the same time.

"A-I'm sorry." I apologised, zipping the rest of my bag up and slinging it over my shoulder, then headed out of the class.

Once out of the room and into the corridors, I started sprinting down the cement, catching myself at the stairs and made my way down as fast as my feet could go without tripping over and injuring myself. I dashed inside the girls' bathroom and slid my purse off my shoulder. I quickly unclipped the tiny bag open and revealed my kwami.

Tikki flew out and hovered in front of me. "It's going to be the first time you've ever faced an akuma alone without any of Chat's help. Be careful Marinette, best of luck." She said, frowning slightly, but with a determination set in the depth of her eyes.

"Yeah," I whispered under my breath. "I sure will need it, Tikki, Spots On!"

"I am the Betrayer! And every one shall bow down to me and be stripped of their untruthful lies once I am in possession of Ladybug's miraculous!" The girl shrieked, standing atop the sculpture Theo Barbalt had created of Ladybug and Chat Noir in the town centre. Civilians screamed and ran, treasuring their lives.

I myself stood upon a high ledge on the rooftop of a building, watching the scene unfold before my eyes. My eyebrows pulling into a frown, I swung my yo-yo out towards the blonde-haired girl, trying to trip her leg over. She seemed to react at the last moment, and suddenly swung out a fan from nowhere. The fan connected with the yo-yo knocking it out of reach.