Two Shades Of Love {16}

I dropped my bag in the hallway and went outside, wanting to be alone. The things Milo had said to JJ were playing over and over again in my head. They made me so angry. I just wanted to hit him for saying those things. Why would he say those things?

                I sat down in the backyard and looked up at the sky, my anger growing. His words seemed to be screaming themselves on repeat in my head. It was making me beyond furious. I clenched my fist tightly. How dare he say those things. I could just…I could just…Just…kill him!

                He had no right to say anything like that about me! I was perfectly fine! I had never done anything to him. At least not that I could remember.

                I heard a fluttering sound and looked down to see a bird had landed a little ways away from me. I glared at it. Lucky bird. No troubles. No worries. No one said mean things about it.

                My hand slapped the ground and closed around a rock. I stood up slowly, so that I wouldn’t alarm it. I slowly brought my arm back as I imagined Milo’s face on the bird, his words replaying in my head again, louder than ever.

                I let my arm rocket forward, releasing the rock. The bird screeched as it nailed it. It fell over, blood oozing out of it. I leaned down and picked up three more rocks. I pelted them at the bird furiously, wanting to kill it. Wanting it to hurt. Stupid fucking bird. I would just pretend it was Milo. Yea, Milo, how the fuck do you like it?

                I kept pelting rocks at it until I realized it was dead. My eyes widened in terror as I saw the bloody mess the bird had become. What the hell had I just done?

                I sat next to Gabe anxiously, my eyes flickering to his door and wondering what JJ and Milo were talking about. I would never hurt Milo. I had just lost my temper. No, I would never hurt anyone. I wasn’t a bad person. I hadn’t meant to hurt that bird. But no one had to know I had done it.

                                                                                ***Milo’s POV***

                “JJ, you see the look in his eyes. It was the same one he had when he choked you and Gabe. It’s starting to fade again, but it was there when he walked into Gabe’s room. I think he did something and he’s trying to hide whatever it is from us. I’m saying this because I love you and I don’t want you to get hurt, whether it’s emotionally, physically, or both,” I said flatly.

                “He’s perfectly fine, Milo!” JJ snapped. I held up my hands in defeat. “JJ, I don’t want to fight with you,” I said quietly. I hated when he got mad at me like this. I was just trying to watch out for him. He had to face reality. Pat was mentally insane, and nothing could change that. He could hide it, but he couldn’t cure it.

                I did feel bad for Pat. How could I not? He was a 15 year old kid who was mentally insane. It wasn’t his fault that he did the things he did. But I was still scared of him, and scared for JJ. JJ couldn’t start trusting him and getting close to him. It would destroy him when Pat got sent away again. And I just knew that he would. There was no possible way he could be cured.

                Maybe he had forgotten what he had done, but he would remember eventually, and then he would start doing bad things again. He would start hurting people again. And god forbid JJ invited him to sleep over, and Pat choked him to death in his sleep. Gah. Just the thought of that made me feel sick to my stomach. But Pat was crazy enough to do it, and I knew that very well. And so did JJ, even if he was pretending he didn’t.

                “Imagine where you’d be now if you only knew; the one you love is the one who’s killing you,” I sang softly. JJ glared at me. “Shut up Milo,” he growled dangerously.

                “JJ, please. I don’t want to fight with you. I just want you to be careful,” I whispered. He glared at me harder and shrugged. “Mind your own fucking business!” he snapped and shoved by me, going back into Gabe’s room.

                I sighed and took a deep breath before going back into Gabe’s room too. JJ was sitting next to Pat and talking to him with a smile.

                The terrifyingly crazy look in Pat’s eyes was receding quickly, but I was positive I had seen it there. He had done something, and he was trying to hide it. But what the hell could he have possibly done?

                “Let’s go outside,” Gabe suggested and we all got up and went out to the backyard. We rested on the back porch, talking and telling jokes.

                Pat was back to looking and acting normal. But I know I hadn’t imagined that look in his eyes. It had been there. I still couldn’t shake the feeling that he had done something really, really bad. But I just couldn’t figure out what he could have possibly done that someone wouldn’t have caught him doing.

                I looked up at the sky as birds flew overhead. I shielded my eyes against the sun and smiled softly as they flew past us.

                “Do you like birds, Milo?” Pat asked curiously, watching me. I pulled my hand away from my face and turned to him, nodding. “What about you?” I asked. He smiled and nodded. “Yea,” he said brightly. “I love birds.” And for some reason, that creeped me out more than I could ever explain.