Two Shades Of Love {28}

I sat on my bed, my head in my hands. Milo’s arm was broken and in a cast. He was home with his parents now. My mind was racing. I just wanted to know what was happening to Pat right now.

                                                                                ***Pat’s POV***

                I sat in the closet, silent and staring at the floor. I could hear my parents shrieking at each other. Gabe had told on me. I didn’t understand why he had told on me. Why had he done that? Milo and JJ deserved what I had done to them. They deserved to be dead and in the darkness.

                The single light in the closet was flickering above me and it was making me nervous. The dark terrified me. I heard things in the dark. Voices. They told me things I didn’t want to hear. They threatened me, sometimes.

                But as I was thinking about that, the light overhead went out and I was plunged into the darkness. My heart stopped for a moment before slamming so hard I thought it would break through my rip cage.

                I jumped up and began to pound on the door desperately. “DAD! MOM!” I shrieked. They had to let me out. They couldn’t make me stay in the dark. “DAD! DAD HELP ME!” I shrieked.

                “We’re going to get you, Patrick.”

                The voices. Oh my god the voices. I pounded so hard on the door now that I was positive I was going to bruise my hands. “DADDY!” I screamed desperately.

                “JJ and Milo are going to get you back for what you did to them. They’re going to trap you in the darkness if you don’t trap them there first.”

                “DADDY!” My voice was so loud that it hurt my own ears. I let out a terrified shriek as I swore I felt something brush against my arm. I jerked it away and thrust my body against the door now, trying to break it down.

                The door was yanked open and I fell out and into my dad’s arms. “Pat! What happened?!” he cried in terror as I gripped his shirt desperately. I looked back and saw one of my mom’s coats swinging. Maybe I had brushed my arm against that. Still. The voices…

                “Oh god Owen! He’s shaking,” mom said and she and dad sat me on their bed. Dad forced me to look into his eyes. The exact same eyes that I had. The same color and shape. They were bright, which I welcomed after the darkness of the closet.

                “Patrick, what happened? What happened at the school with Milo and JJ, and what just happened in the closet?” he demanded sternly.

                “Dad…they…don’t make me go back in there. I’ll be good. I’ll follow the rules. Don’t make me go back in there,” I whimpered. No more darkness. No more. I would sleep with the lights on.

                “Patrick, what happened? Gabe said you hurt Milo very badly. What did you do? Why did you do it? Why were you just shrieking?” he demanded, still forcing me to look into his eyes.

                “Owen…stop. He’s terrified,” mom said weakly. “He’s not okay and I want to know what the hell is going through his head!” dad snapped at her.

                Anger rose up in me and I brought my fist to his face. Dad stumbled back in shock as his nose began to bleed again. He brought his sleeve up to catch the blood.

                “PATRICK!” he exploded in fury.

                “You left me alone in the dark!” I screamed. He glanced at the closet, went over, and tried to turn on the light. He sighed in annoyance.

                “Pat, we haven’t changed that light bulb in over a year. It had to go out sometime. That doesn’t give you a reason to punch me you sorry brat. Why did you hurt Milo?” he boomed.

                “Everyone picks him over me! It’s not fair! He made you all think there was something wrong with me when there isn’t!” I wailed.

                “Patrick, there is something wrong with you and we’re going to get you help. Now come with me,” dad said gently. “Fuck you. You’re not sending me back!” I snarled, cringing away from him.

                A plan hit me, and I forced myself to hang my head in false guilt and shake. “I’m so sorry daddy,” I whimpered. “I shouldn’t have hurt you, or Milo. I’m so, so sorry.”

                He moved towards me and I let him. He gently hugged me and I hugged him back tightly, so badly wanting to hit him again.

                “Can I apologize to Milo?” I asked quietly. Dad bit his lip nervously. “We’ll call him for you, Pat, and if he wants to come he can,” mom said, sitting next to me and putting an arm around me.

                Mom brought me to my room while dad called Milo. A few minutes later, he came in with a troubled look in his eyes. “He and JJ are coming tomorrow,” he said quietly.

                He looked at me and sighed. “And after you apologize, you’re going away for help,” he said sternly. That made me beyond furious, but if I struck my dad again, he wouldn’t let Milo and JJ come tomorrow. This was perfect. I was going to finish everything up once and for all tomorrow.