Platonic

Chanyeol, in his exquisite existence, was a secret delight to watch. Granted Baekhyun only peaked inside the gymnasium for a fleeting second using the back exit before walking back out, he was still in awe, partially from the ever growing realization that he was dating one of the sweaty players bound to get physically hurt from the ridiculous sport. After his short visit despite Chanyeol's insistence for him to sit and watch the spectacle of yet another practice in the bleachers, Baekhyun rejected the offer, opting to sit outside the building to wait quietly on the concrete bench.

The sun still had an appearance, but it was cool. Wrapped in his jacket, Baekhyun kept himself warm against the chilly wind by rocking back and forth, sometimes standing up to pace. His hand was gripping his cellphone, though unused and dead of contact.

Kyungsoo hadn't contacted him very much since the end of the retreat, and Baekhyun was given no direction on the topic of how to make amends with someone who was completely out of reach by epic choice. Biting his lip, Baekhyun turned back to take a gander of the gymnasium, unable to pull himself from the thought of Kyungsoo's cause. He could, for an entire lifetime, feign to be clueless, but the truth was too loud to ignore.

He had lost Kyungsoo the moment he chose Chanyeol.

Though, then, the question came, asking when did he begin choosing the giant over the boy he loved not too long before? Baekhyun couldn't put his finger on the moment, exactly, but it was clear enough that he was past the point of return.

Looking down at his phone, Baekhyun thought on the idea of calling his friend, but shook it away, knowing Kyungsoo wouldn't welcome it. Prior to that day, the brunet had tried to reach him a number of times, but the rejection was constant and blaring. School, ironically, had gotten worse without Kyungsoo by his side, and Baekhyun knew it was because he had lost the person he confided in the most.

Chanyeol was not an option. Baekhyun refused to subject him to words that would only anger him, destroying his whimsical view of the people around them. People whispered. They loved to whisper. The desire and temptation to gossip and lie was, as he knew, human nature. It was unavoidable, especially when jealousy and ignorance tangoed in the same dance, throwing individuals in a delusional loop. What he wanted to say was nothing Chanyeol needed to hear in the very least, but it would've been something Kyungsoo could've lessened.

Unlike the basketball jock, Kyungsoo's way of lessening the blow of hurt brought on by the words of others was to spite them back with the same venom in his own speech. Chanyeol, on the other hand, seemed to be more physical and confrontal. The last thing Baekhyun wanted was for the giant to fight anyone or approach those who were talking out of mere anger, bitterness, and jealousy. He knew, despite the gentleness, Chanyeol was the type of stand up for those he cared for, and it was something Baekhyun had no desire to exploit.

Baekhyun's eyes were growing more tired, though he couldn't point as to why. He had done nothing significant that day, skipping gym and ditching to spend the afternoon in the infirmary with Mr. Kim, who had given up on the lectures. Thinking, he wondered if he should return home and apologize later for his sudden absence, but as he reached a conclusion to his thinking, he heard the gymnasium doors swing open followed by a cluster of voices.

Rising, Baekhyun rubbed his tired eyes and smiled as he caught view of Chanyeol looking left and right for him. He raised his hand, waving it slightly before dropping it once the giant had seen him and began his approach.

Chanyeol's hair was still damp, clear that he hadn't been thorough in drying it. The tips still dripped of water, but the light in his eyes couldn't be put out by his condition. Opening his arms, Chanyeol took the short brunet into an embrace that took his tiny feet off the ground.