Descending

Baekhyun tutored kids in private, often offhandedly, never fully committed, but nonetheless, he lent his hand to whoever needed it if he liked them well enough. Sehun, the school's most valued free throw shooter, trickled down on his small clientele list, but after a few weeks in the library and a handful of small talk topics to fill gaps of tiny silence, Baekhyun found that the latter was more interested in the blonde who sometimes greeted them in the public library space. Once, the brunet caught the basketball player staring off as Luhan disappeared behind one of the shelves and though he seemed without humor, Baekhyun had to bite his lower lip in an attempt to keep face.

After a while, even without having been coaxed, Sehun confessed, keeping his cool as he said, "Chanyeol told me to ask you if it'd be alright."

"Hm." Baekhyun had stared at the multiple choice questions set before them. With Sehun's attention fading, he knew it'd be difficult to get the boy to focus. "And why's that?"

"You're his friend."

"Luhan's also Chanyeol's friend."

"Yes, but..." Sehun looked uncomfortable. His eyes darted elsewhere, avoiding Baekhyun and their assignment. "Chanyeol told me he's more of your friend than his."

Snorting, Baekhyun read the line to problem sixteen. "I don't know what he told you, Sehun. Do you need my permission to date him? By all means, date him."

"Are you sure? Chanyeol said to make sure I have your permission."

"Why's he acting like I'm Luhan's guardian?" Baekhyun asked, exasperated. "Do what you want with him."

"Alright, then." Sehun leaned back in his seat. His eyes studied Baekhyun's sharp features from the way his lips were thin in annoyance to the way his brows were drawn together. "I think Chanyeol doesn't want you to feel overwhelmed or anything. That's all. I mean, I don't plan on approaching every one of Luhan's friends and asking them if it's alright."

"And why would I be overwhelmed?"

"Because...well, I don't know," Sehun said, shrugging. "The way he said it, he told me it has something to do with worlds colliding. Luhan's more of your friend, so he's more part of your world. As for me, I never really talk to you outside of here, only when I need help with something. Chanyeol said it's because I'm part of hisworld, but I don't understand his confusing concepts. He's gotten a little weird since meeting you, I guess."

By the look of his appearance, Sehun hadn't seemed to factor in his unintentional underhanded insult. Baekhyun let the comment slide, projecting more of his attention on the pressure he was applying to his pen. "Ignore him. He's just being stupid."

-

-

It wasn't too far-fetched for Chanyeol to have some sort of general anxiety over their relationship. In fact, it was reasonable despite how unnecessary it was in Sehun's case. Chanyeol was careful, but it started to make Baekhyun feel constricted.

Baekhyun hadn't met the giant's friends yet, and he had been waiting, at least, for some sort of introduction. Though he wanted a quiet relationship, he was aware that things would be far different than how it was with Kyungsoo. With the president, it was easy being that it was only them. Two numerals in a world full of digits. But Chanyeol was of a different nature in that he had friends, a broad social life. It was inconsiderate to pull him from that life, so it was clear to the brunet how he needed to bend a little, but Chanyeol was making it near impossible.

It was a struggle as he pressed on to keep to himself, forcing it to the back of his mind. Nothing deteriorated people and relationships more than beastly thoughts. In his casualness, he brushed many things off. From the people who spoke behind his back when Chanyeol was no where near him to the letters he began receiving in the recent days.