Chapter 2: The Bad Girl Gets Bailed

"So how long can I stay in this prison cell for?" I asked the slightly overweight guard who was currently using the cell keys to clean under his fingernails.

"How long can you?" He asked in return, glancing up at me for literally a millisecond before returning to his task at hand.

"Yeah. Like even after bail has been posted. Could you have the person who posted bail, come down here and watch you retrieve me from the cell?" I continued.

Now he looked up and stared at me like I'd lost it.

"Why would you want that?" He asked. I slipped my hands through the bars and leaned my head against it.

"Well, Jim- is it Jim?" I asked, glancing at his desk name to clarify. He gave me a nod.

"Stands for Jimmy." He added.

"Well, Jimmy," I continued, leaning my head back against the bars, "my step uncle will be here within the next few minutes to come settle the bail. My issue is that, as soon as he sees me, he might actually kill me," I explained, "and I'm just spitballing here but, if he sees me in a cell, it might melt his ice cold heart a bit."

Jimmy gave me a chuckle. "So basically, you want me to bring him down here so he can witness you in a surprisingly clean jail cell by yourself, looking bored out of your damn mind?"

"Oh shit, you're right." I whispered. "Should I roll around a bit? Make it look like I really fought for my life all night. I could probably get some tears flowing too. I had a pet die pretty recently so I'm already an emotional wreck."

"Well I'm sorry to hear that. What kind of pet?" Jimmy asked.

"My pet fish Marvin." I replied. "Marvin Scott Fitzgerald the Second."

"Your pet fish?" He asked chuckling again, "how long ago was it? And was there seriously a Marvin Scott Fitzgerald the First?"

"It'll be a full 2 years by next Friday." I replied. "And there isn't actually a Marvin Scott Fitzgerald the First but the Second made it seem more legitimate, ya know?"

"That was forever ago!" He shot out through another hearty laugh. "God, you're one odd child."

"Okay first of all, that death was very emotionally draining for me. Secondly, do not come for Marvin Scott Fitzgerald the Second. You know his name, not his story." I replied with added sass that really took my reply to a whole other level.

"I couldn't of imagined his story would be that eventful... he was a fish. Hell, his name was probably most eventful aspect of his life."

"I can feel Marvin turning in his grave as we speak." I tsked back.

"The pipes from a toilet drain?" Jimmy offered. With that, I broke into a grin.

I had decided I liked this man.

"So whatchya in here for, Jimmy?" I asked.

"Dropped out of law school. Wound up here." He replied. I gave him a slight nod, before we were both pulled out of our thoughts by the sound of a buzzer going off.

"Looks like your uncle arrived and posted bail." He announced. A small part in me was ecstatic, but a much larger part in me had half the sense to scribble my will out on the concrete floor...

...that was until I realized I had absolutely nothing to my name.

"Alright Jimmy, you heard what we talked about. Bring him on in." I nodded to him and he nodded back in understanding before disappearing around the corner.

Moments later, I heard the jingling of keys as he flew down the stairs with my step uncle on his heels.

"Uncle!" I cried hysterically as Tino appeared around the corner with a few envelopes. His suit was still pressed, but his tie now hung loosely around his neck.

"I swear to god Alex." He groaned. I could already see the grey hair making their debut on his head.

I felt my eyes start to water. "I'm so sorry." I cried. Poor Marvin. Poor poor Marvin. A tear ran down the side of my face. Tino's eyes softened slightly.

"Could you let her out for me?" He asked, as he turned to Jim.

Jim looked at him, before breaking out into a grin. "The door isn't locked."

I glanced at Jim like the traitor he was when Tino's eyes hardened again. "You had me over here worrying and shit when you were in an unlocked jail cell?"

"Why, Jim? Why would you do me this dirty? A brother's gotta look out for another brother out here." I tsked again. Jim gave me another laugh.

"There isn't a point in locking the cell doors.We aren't holding murderers down here. There's also two armed guards securing the doors upstairs. You know I got you though, sis." Jim added, giving me a fist pound through the jail cell.

Tino just looked done with all our shit.

"Come on, Alex. I just flew in from my trip to come bail you out. I need to crash soon." Tino groaned, as I pushed the cell doors open.

"I'll remember this, Jim. I'll let my brothers on the inside know what's up." I replied, giving Jim a slight head nod.

"She is completely kidding, officer. She has no brothers on the inside." Tino rushed out, as he began dragging me out of the precinct. "Jesus. I can't leave you anywhere for even a second without you getting yourself into trouble." He groaned. All you could hear was Jim's laughter echoing off the holding cell room walls.

~

"Thank you." I smiled hesitantly as we slid into a rental car. Tino had most likely got it straight from the airport.

"This is serious, Alex." Tino began. "The charges you received might not get dropped easily. I put one of my junk cars in to meet your bail so your ass better make it to that court date."

"I will." I whispered quietly. I had truly felt bad for making him leave his business trip early to come get me. I hadn't really seen just how physically exhausted he actually was. "Were you able to get the McLaren's back?" I asked.

"Yeah. They released both vehicles back into my name this morning." Tino replied. "I still can't believe you guys took my two most prized possessions out."

I shrunk further in my seat from guilt. "What about Jared?" I asked.

"I'll bail him out tomorrow. I'm going to let that dumbass sit in jail just a bit longer because I already know this had to of been his idea."

"Fair enough." I nodded, as we pulled out onto the street to start our drive home. There wasn't a shred of pity inside me.

Throwing Jared under the bus was most definitely not beneath me.

---------------------------------