Chapter 16: The Bad Girl Gets A Text

"How's the lip, sleeping beauty?"

"Jared, why the hell are you in my room? Its quite literally my one full day off till next Thursday." I mumbled into my pillow. The sun had begun to shine through my curtains, urging me to wake up, but the Sunday morning blues kept me in bed.

"Decided to come check in on you before I headed into work with Tino today. He heard you come in at 2:30 this morning so I suggest you get your story in check." Jared replied, with a slight smirk playing on his lips. That caught my attention as I sat my head up. "How was the rest of your night out with lover boy? Looks like he bandaged your lip up pretty well." Jared noted.

My fingers went over the bandages he had put around the area. I had grabbed a bag of peas from the fridge last night after I got home, in hopes of reducing the swelling. I must have fallen asleep with the bag because it was now completely defrosted and currently sitting in a puddle of water at the edge of my bed. Regardless, the bag worked. As I ran my fingers across the edge of my mouth and down by my chin, I didn't feel much inflammation and swelling.

"Yeah he offered to help after we left the races." I explained, finally pulling my body up to a sitting position since it was clear this idiot wasn't leaving for at least a few more good minutes.

"I hope the violence wasn't off putting for him. Caleb didn't even know who that guy was in the first place. Apparently he tagged along with Vicio when Vicio left a party to come here." Jared explained.

"This is why we don't allow outsiders to just show up. It's conflicting and inconvenient for everyone when we've got to deal with some asshole who doesn't get the underground racing world." I sighed. Jared nodded in agreement."How long are you working today for?" I asked.

"Probably till Tino says I can close up shoppe, so maybe around 11pm."

"Tino still punishing you?" I asked, but cursed silently to myself as Jared peered down at me.

"Punishing me? Don't you mean punishing us?" he asked suspiciously. I offered him a small smile.

"Tino told me my overtime hours could be done since I've been getting my community service done." I explained. Jared gasped.

"How dare he! Just let you off the hook for something I may or may not have been at fault for!" Jared yelled in outrage. "Nothing has been proven yet." He added quietly.

"You've only got a bit left to do on the last car anyways." I reminded him. He gave me a groan in return. "I was hoping we could have grabbed some ice cream in the cities then head to Caleb's. I think he had a thing going on tonight."

"Might have to hit you with a rain check, little one. I'll see him next week anyways at the race. Have you worked out details with Tino?"

"I think so. We were going to meet today to talk it over but it looks like he might have to fly out for a trip tonight." I replied, as I glanced at the message Tino left for me.

Talk about Thursday when I get back? Love you.

"Wait... so Tino left already?" Jared asked in disbelief. "Then why the hell am I even up right now?"

"Because you need to clock in and finish the car before he gets back which will most likely be late at night/early morning tomorrow." I reminded him. He made a sound I hadn't really heard a human make before but I'm guessing it was along the lines of a groan.

"I hate when your right," Jared sighed.

"Which is all the time." I replied with a grin. He gave me one more exaggerated groan before slipping back out into the hallway. I glanced down at my phone again as it vibrated with a new message.

Hey, its Christian. You better be awake.

I rubbed the sleep away from my eyes to look at the text once more... then my eyes practically popped out of their sockets. My heartbeat began to quicken. How did Christian get my number? And oh my god Christian Taylor has my fucking number.

Christian? How did you get my number? I asked. My phone vibrated seconds later.

You kept terribly tabs on your phone last night. I added it while you were driving.

My face grew red with embarrassment. How did I not notice? Thank god he wasn't here to see that.

I'll have you know I placed my phone in a prime position like so, so that you could infiltrate said cellular device and grab my number. #dontunderestimatemycapabilities

What a load of BS, it fell out of your pocket and into the middle aisle of the car when  you got in.

Accidentally on purpose, I tell you.

You confuse me.

I'm glad.

I'm glad that you're glad.

That was a terrible response.

I'm well aware. I promise to do better if you meet up with me today. There's this place off lake street called The Milk Jamèrie. They've got milkshakes to die for.

Milk Jamèrie. Got it. I hear milkshakes will bring all the boys to my yard. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with me?

I bet they do(:

Holy fucking shit. A smiley face.

We're in, people. We're in.

------------------------------------