Chapter 17: The Bad Girl Gets Propositioned

D-D-Double upload

"I don't understand." I replied simply, slurping on the milkshake as Christian and I sat outside of Milk Jamèrie.

Today was such a perfect day with blue skies and sunshine. I had decided to wear a very flattering romper with a loose kimono, but that was nothing compared to Christian's attire. For the first time in the few weeks I'd known him for, he was wearing jeans with a loose fitted faded top. It was this light faded redish pink color that looked absolutely amazing with his vibrant eyes and light hair.

"Well it's a dance competition held by the ballet academy, but it's open to the public." Christian explained. "The only restriction to the contest is that you must enter with a partner."

My hands gripped the milkshake glass a little tighter. I didn't like the direction this conversation was going in. "I enjoy dancing, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not cut out for that sort of thing." I replied.

"Nonsense, Alex. You're really good. Like really fucking good." Christian insisted. "Plus, The cash prize is a couple grand. I have to participate in it anyways, so I was hoping you'd dance with me."

I sighed again to myself. It wasn't that I didn't want to dance with him, but rather, I didn't belong to this crowd. I didn't belong to this lifestyle. I put a biker helmet on, not ballet shoes. Cat fights for me weren't hair pulling and scratching, they were an uppercut to your chin and a right hook to the jawline. I wasn't a fragile or gentle person, I was whatever this crazy life had made me.

"I just don't think it's a good idea. Why don't you get someone from the ballet academy to dance with you?' I asked.

"Because they aren't you." He replied. I glanced away as my cheeks started to heat up again. He was just so direct all the time. My fragile heart couldn't take much more.

"But how would we practice? I'm putting in hours at my uncles shoppe, and I have community service at the ballet academy. Plus, I don't attend the academy and the studios aren't open to the public." I explained.

"We can practice at night, after you finish your hours of community service." He replied. I took another long slurp of my milkshake to buy me some time to think about all this. I mean, what was my excuse for not dancing? What exactly could I tell him that would actually be valid?

"I don't know ballet." I blurted. He chuckled.

"That's totally bullshit. I've danced with you, Alex. It's pretty clear that you've got at least some ballet lessons under your belt, and I could easily teach you the rest." Christian replied. His eyes bore into mine. I silently groaned again. Fuck, this guy was persistent as hell.

"Alright." I spoke finally. Screw his pretty eyes.

A large smile spread across his face. My eyes shifted down to my almost gone milkshake to avoid his gaze. He moved to say something else, but was cut short by his phone going off. "Hello?" He answered. there was another pause before he spoke again. "Calm down Payton. I already told you all I was doing was helping you with a few dance moves. That's it. You need to learn the dance with your actual partner." Christian spoke.

Now who the hell was Payton? I know I know, not my place... but still...

"I'm busy right now Payton- No, we cannot meet up, I'm with someone.... No, I'm not doing that..."

That's right. He was busy. Busy having milkshakes with me.

"I'll see you at the studio in about an hour." Christian replied, before hanging up the phone.

I glanced up from my milkshake. "Soooo... Payyyyton..."

He released a low chuckle. "Just a friend." He clarified. "She asked for my help with a routine for the dance, but I keep telling her she needs to work it out with her partner. I shouldn't be involved with that when I'm also competing in the same competition." Christian explained.