Chapter 18: The Bad Girl Gets Ready To Race

The rest of the week went by with a blur. I continued my nightly hours at the ballet academy, and Christian started working on the choreography for the dance. Every day that drew nearer to the race, was a day my heart felt like it was going to explode. I got the jitters when Wednesday came around.

"Is everything set?" Jared asked me as I released the engine oil filter and drained the old oil of an old Honda Tino had brought in for a friend.

"Yes, I spoke with Tino about everything. He's closing shoppe and making it an all day event tomorrow. I'm almost done with my community service hours too so all that's left is this next week and the dance thing Christian talked me into." I replied. The old oil began to slowly fill the tray I had laid under it.

"Perfect. Everything's in order with attendees. It'll be different this time since Tino opens these kind of things up to the public. He chose the long stretch race track that's further up by Sioux Falls. It's your first official race of this magnitude. Be careful out there, alright? People don't always play by the rules with these things." Jared warned. I gave him a nod, before sliding the oil filled tray out from under the car. "What whip are you taking?"

"I kinda fell in love with that Tesla at the last race. Caleb did a wicked job with the mods on it. I've been working with him for a few more improvements from the bonus pay Tino gave me. I think it's beast mode ready now." I replied.

"It did the job at that last race, that's for sure. You said you were pulling in second for a while there?" Jared asked.

"Yeah that asshat was blocking out both lanes because he knew my car would win in speed. This car goes 0-100 in 6 seconds flat, speed isn't a setback but rather an enhancement to the car." I explained.

"What a douche." Jared commented. I nodded in agreement.

"How are my two beautiful child laborers handling things?" Tino asked as he entered through the backdoor.

"Working in this heat for terrible pay." Jared mumbled. Tino sent him a tight smile.

"Let me remind you that I was the one who bailed you out."

"A day later than Alex, might I remind you." Jared countered. Tino and I shared a laugh at that.

"Not the point of this conversation. I got a client who needs some brakes replaced but we'll be closed tomorrow so I told her to bring the car by today. She'll drop it off tonight and If you have time, try and get it done tonight as well then we'll just leave it in shop till Friday, or you can work on it early Friday morning and she'll swing by around noon to come grab it."

"Ill probably get the work done Friday morning but I can evaluate the car tonight and get her a write up for the charges."Jared replied.

"Sounds good, thanks. I'm heading out for a few meetings then a work dinner, so I'll be back late. Please don't do anything too illegal. The cash prize for tomorrow is a confirmed $5800. I've gotta collect a few more entry fees tonight, then ill add a grand to round it up to $5800."

"How many people are racing?" I asked.

"20 cars have been registered. We're racing for time due to the size of this race. There will be 5 cars racing per race, and 2 different races per individual, we will then go ahead and pull the best time from those two races to determine the winner out of the 20 drivers. I've got Dianna's to cater the event tomorrow so they will be out in one of the tents serving food from 12-3 and during the actually race time from 6-8. A few local bands will play on set during the day." Tino explained.

I grabbed a new filter out from the storage cabinet as Tino continued. "Because of the shit you two pulled a few weeks back, If any of you two win tomorrow, the money goes to charity."

"Have you not punished us enough?" Jared whined.

"No, I have not." Tino replied. "Don't think I didn't see Alex's busted up lip either. I told you both to cut it out with the illegal street racing." Jared glared at me but I rolled under the car in time to avoid his gaze as I screwed the new filter in. "Your punishment ends when your bad decisions do too."

"That could be years." Jared replied. Tino chuckled.

"Alright you two, I'm heading out for the night. The gal with the breaks problem will be in within a few minutes." Tino called as he grabbed his keys and headed back out through the back.

"Sounds good!" Jared called out before the door shut. We worked in silence for a few more minutes before Jared spoke again. "You know... Their memorial is coming up."

"Yeah, I know." I replied.

"Do you want me to accompany you on the drive up?" He asked. I slowly shook my head.

"No, thanks." I replied shortly. Before Jared could continue, we heard the main door open. Jared set his tools down and made his way to the entrance of the shop. I peaked through the window on the door.

A young lady walked through. She was absolutely gorgeous, and Jared quickly took notice.

"Hi, what can I do for you?" He asked as he did one of his signiture moves which was to use the hem of his shirt to wipe the sweat from his forehead. It gave the women a good 3.5 seconds to admire Jared's well built body. She was definitely looking.

I mean, you'd have to be blind not to though.

Or a lesbian.

But Jared claims his abs can turn a gay girl straight.

"I-I was bringing my car in to get the breaks fixed. An older gentleman referred me here when I was complaining about my car to a store clerk earlier today."

I was totally telling Toni that some hot chick called him old.

"Ah yeah, that would be Toni. He owns the place. Is the car out front?' Jared asked. She nodded in response. "Can I have the keys to the vehicle? I'm just going to bring it around to the garage area." Jared explained.

"Of course." She replied, handing him a lanyard with the attached keys, before taking a seat in the waiting area while Jared headed outside. I smiled to myself as I pulled the door open and walked through to the waiting area. It was time to make this day a little more eventful for myself. The lady glanced up at me.

"Hi, I'm Alex." I replied, shaking her hand before logging into the system's computer to get a print out started. "I see you've already met my fiancé, Jared."

----------------------------