Sick (25)

Alexia's POV

I watched in pure bliss and anxiety as the passing surrounding began to look familiar. We were getting closer to the outskirts of my hometown.

Eagerness crawled up my throat and expressed itself in a small squeak that resulted in Caden glancing at me with a raised eyebrow.

I shrugged his gaze off and looked back out the window.

Then I saw the welcoming sign to my lovely town.

I was back.

Finally.

I held my breath instinctively as we passed my mom's hair salon. But it's not what I expected.

My eyes widened at the sign and the chained up door.

Out of Business.

I forced myself to look away and try to focus on something else. But that stayed planted in the back of my head, knowing that with me being gone and the hair salon being out of business, we just lost half of our income. That's when my excited anxiety completely flipped and I felt a giant pit form in my stomach. How were they supporting themselves? Were they eating?

"Margarette, could I borrow the phone please?" I asked, trying to sound as calm as possible. I could tell Caden heard the uneasiness in my voice by the side glance he gave me and how quickly he looked away when I looked at him. I shook my head and turned back to Margarette.

She nodded swiftly. "Of course, its in my bag."

I watched her like a hawk, my palms beginning to sweat. I just hoped they were okay. I needed them to be okay.

She fished around aimlessly in her purse, keeping her eyes fixated on the road. She finally managed to snatch hold of it and twisted her arm into an uncomfortable position to hand it back to me.

I grabbed it without a moments hesitation and quickly turned it on. She didn't have a password which I silently thanked her for. I found the contacts and scrolled until I found my mother's name. I hit call.

The phone rang.

And rang.

And rang.

"Alexia?" I heard her voice as clear as a bell and I let out a breath of relief. "Or is this Margarette?"

"No, no mom it's me." I answered and brushed my tangled hair behind my ear. "I just... I saw the hair salon and well," I lowered my voice do Margarette and Caden couldn't hear. "Are you guys alright?"

I heard my mom clear her throat.

"Yeah, darling. Angel, another girl that worked at the salon, got almost all of us jobs at this new salon that just opened up. This one does more than just hair, like nails and massages and all that stuff. It's great pay!" She exclaimed and I let out yet another breath of relief.

"Good, good." I said and Leander farther towards the window. "Great, actually."

"Sweetheart, Margarette contacted me earlier and told me you guys were coming back today. Is that true?" I heard my mother ask.

"Yes!" I happily replied and looked at Caden who was staring at me.

"We just crossed the town. That's how I saw the salon!"

My mom gave a sort of relieved laugh and took a deep breath. "Good."

I began to smile uncontrollably. I was going home!

"Just-" she started and lowered her voice. "Honey, your father is sick. But he will get better. He has to, right?" I heard her voice crack and my heart dropped.

"Oh." Was all I could muster. My smile had faded.

"Well just tell me where you are and we'll be there soon." I mumbled, all my previous excitement gone.

"I'm at the new salon. Sam's here. He misses you." My mom tried to cheer me up. But I felt my shoulders sag even more. She didn't say dad was there too.

"Alrighty mom." I said after she had given me the address of the salon. "We'll be there soon."

She mumbled an 'I love you' and I quickly returned it before hanging up and handing the phone back at Margarette.

"Thank you." I muttered and turned back to look out the window.

I felt a warm hand on my shoulder and whipped my head around to see Caden attention a reassuring smile.

"You okay?" He asked and I shrugged.

"Things could be better. And I'm sorry about your dad. And Kyle." I said in one breath. Caden averting his gaze to the floor of the car before meeting my eyes again.

"Thanks." He gave a small, genuine smile and I returned the favor. He retracted his hand and placed it on his own lap. I went back to looking out the window.

"Where did your mom say she was, honey?" Margarette asked slightly leaned her head back.

I told her the address of the salon and she nodded, focusing back on the road. "That's right around the corner."

I straightened my posture as my eyes started searching for the salon. I didn't even know what it was called, nor what it looked like. But I still found myself searching helplessly.

Margarette took a left turn and I saw it.

It looked like a small, homey place with a flickering neon sign that read OPEN.

My heart began pounding as we pulled into the parking lot. Everything was falling into place.

Yes.

Yes.

YES!

Margarette parker and I flung myself out of the car, notably frightening Caden who flinched slightly. But I wasn't paying attention to him anymore.

I sprinted to the entrance and exploded through the door, the bell nearly flying off the doorframe from my force.

I saw her.

"You're here!"

~~~~~~

YAYYY!! I got to publish twice within 24 hours! Lol makes me proud.

Tell me what you guys thought!

What do you think will happen next? THE BOOK IS ALMOST OVERR!! (Not really lol)

Will you guys want a sequel? Let me know!

❤️❤️